Brighton Results SUB 12seconds???

Hi all -

Brighton was great! - The weather held off (well predicted James!!) - no rain.

So did anyone get a timeed run under 12s??

YES!! -

Roy Smart managed a blistering 11.83s @ 116Mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
First sub 12s run in the Uk I believe.. - well done Roy and he also gets to retain the Dave Wilson Memorial Trophy again (3rd time!!)

Top top 5 GTD Timed runs were:
1st - Roy Smart @ 11.83s / 116 Mph (GTD40)
2nd - Paul Thompson @ 12.41s / 116 Mph (Roy's GTD40)
3rd - Dave Parker @ 12.52s / 117Mph (GTD R42)
4th - Andrew Fordyce @ 12.91 / 104 Mph (GTD40)
5th - Roger Burston @ 12.96 / 113Mph (Dave's GTD R42)

Full results / pics / videos to follow.

Unfortunately - after testing on Friday - James was unable to compete today due to technical reasons - I'm sure he will explain in due course.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but he did come to see us compete and is looking forward to joining in the fun soon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
Hey, doesn't 12.98 count for anything nowadays? Wendy also came third in the handicap class of 55 listed runners.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, doesn't 12.98 count for anything nowadays? Wendy also came third in the handicap class of 55 listed runners.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sure does Malc - it means your were not in the top 5 places! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (& get your headlights fixed!)

Well done Wendy....

Malcolm

Supporter
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Congrats Roy! You've finally found the "Holy Grail"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The only question that remains now is, "Will JP ever be

able to beat 11.83 secs?"

Yep - Roy really showed the rest how to do it!

I had tweeked the engine management somewhat and found on my first practice, that we had a fair amount more power.

Thinking on Rons remarks, I tried launching at higher (<3000) rpm than usual (< 2000) in second gear and promptly left two very long and black stripes from the start.

To this, Roy remarked to others present about youth and too much right foot etc etc!

Then, when he first drove the car, on his practice run.....

Attachments

• 43757-RoySmokin.JPG
    43757-RoySmokin.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 303
...and he said I had a heavy right foot - bloody cheek!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

on return he commented about the car being 'almost undriveable' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 43758-RoySmokin2.JPG
    43758-RoySmokin2.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 284
And all this talk about GT40 not being made for drag racing,,,Bul$%@& /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you have the POWER, and know how to launch it, you can do it.

Congrats Paul and Roy. So GTD has now done 11s in UK and US /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My hat goes off to Roy and Paul for a trully spectacular effort. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Indeed Roy also beat the Ferrari F50 by nearly a second! The Ferrari F40 by well over a second and Lambo was just blown away.

I unfortunately didn't make it with the MDA.

I hired a runway for the day on Friday to get plenty of practice. We started very wet. Not the best of conditions. During the day we had a few unforeseen problems.

1) Clutch. AVOID AP organic clutches if you have over 450HP. I fried mine on every launch, it wouldn't even bite trying 2nd gear launches.

2) Engine problem. We had an idle problem that turned out to be No.2 not working. Worrying because we might have bore washed it. We'll find out soon.

For obvious reasons. i.e I didn't want to blow my engine. And the clutch that would leave me standing on the start line at Brighton like complete mutant! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So how did the MDA go? Very quick indeed. Even with 7 just cylinders.

Paul and Roy will be having a fine lunch in the not too distant future on me.

Regards,

J.P /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
Didn't Paul &amp; Roy manage 168 mph recently on just 7 cylinders? Good to see you and Louise on Saturday JP, hope the problems get sorted soon.

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Paul, The difference in yours and Roys times show how critical the start of the 1/4 mi. is. I would guess that Roy will shave another few tenths off his time as well. My hat goes off to any one Roys age (whatever it really is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), who goes out and runs his car the way he does!

Malcolm

Supporter
Rick, Wendy did have a chat with Roy and he did say to her that he felt that even now there was potential for a quicker time! No one has yet mentioned the 500 bhp motorcylce that set a new course record of 8.87 secs with a terminal of 178 mph! You know, Roy used to race bikes too, maybe he fancies a go on that?

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Malcolm, I am sure that he will shave a few more tenths off of his time, but I think that he will have a hard time talking the owner of the bike into letting him take it down the track. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
Just looking at that second picture again, can anyone work out a way of measuring the angle that Roy has got that car to from the straight ahead direction. It looks outrageous!

The marshal behind the lamp post looks worried!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back