Truck People - any here?

Ron Earp

Admin
I've been thinking about getting a truck. I haul a fair amount of crap around that is foul and nasty, and next year I'll need something to pull my race car on a trailer. I've been looking at a bunch of trucks and have driven the:

Ford F150, various styles
New Dodge Ram
Nissan Titan
Toyota Tundra
Chevy Silversomething

Out of these I like the Ford and Nissan. Both can tow enough, but the thing I like about them is the interior is much more refined than the others and more like a high/mid range car than a truck.

The Dodge and Chevy definitely had the classic "sea of cheap plastic" going for them on the inside although I liked their powertrains over the DOHC motors in the Ford and Nissan. Didn't like the 4 speed autos in those cars though when everyone else has 5 speed autos.

Any comments from those that own trucks?

If you decide to get the Ford truck, get the 5.4 engine. I have 62,000+ on my E150 van and it pulls a trailer very well. Fran Hall and I pulled a 24 ft trailer (with a 40 inside) 2000 miles with no problem and did not use a drop of oil.
My son inlaw just bought a new F150 with the 3 valve 5.4 and from what I see it will be even better.

Vic

when i test drove the titan i thought it was much more supperior in comfort especially the higher trim levels. i thought it was waaay better than the f150. It all has to do with personal preference.IMHO I would buy the titan over the f150 any day of the week The tundra is also really nice.

Purchased a Chevy S-10 in '87. By 1990, it was rusting. Sold it and got a Toyota Tacoma Extracab in '91. No complaints on it at all. Sold it this spring and bought a new Tacoma Extracab. 4WD, V6, 5 speed, locking diff, etc. It is as plush and quiet inside as any car I've owned. 20+ mpg. Class IV hitch. Tows my trailer quite nicely.

It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want a full sized truck, I've heard good reports on the Nissan Titan although if I were looking, I'd be swayed toward the Tundra because of the good service I got from my previous truck.

If you want a laugh, park your GT40 next to a new full sized Ford. The 40 looks like a Matchbox toy. IMHO, the new Fords look HUGE because of the body style.

Dave

Ron,

As you are the "Boss" of a growing family, there is no doubt that in addition to the typical uses of a truck(hauling),you will be called upon to haul groceries, do a carpool once in a while, take the family to the beach, etc. Keep this all in mind when you shop for a truck.
I bought a 2004 F-150 Crew Cab FX4 with a 5.5' bed last year(traded my Excursion). A four door truck is the greatest thing invented since sliced bread! No more jamming people into the front seat(wife and two daughters)! The comfort level of this truck is amazing(drives like a car!), and what's even better, is that although it has four doors, and can haul a lot of junk, the 5 1/2' bed doesn't make you feel like you are driving a semi. The 5.4L engine is something you may be familiar with too! The FX4 interior is VERY nice for a truck, not too glitzy, just sharp. And don't forget a good quality, spray-in bedliner (Line-X or Rhinoliner)!
I drove all of the above mentioned trucks before deciding on the F-150. Each had it's high points, but Ford still won the race by a wide margin(again). It's been rated "truck of the year" so many times, that the other companies always see it as the one to beat. That's not just a coincidence.
Happy shopping!

Bill

Ron Earp

Admin
The Ford does have a nice interior, to be sure. And, I think the truck is a good one. They do need to work on that motor, as I've mentioned here many times before Ford should have developed the pushrod engine like Chevy did and stuck with it. It is coming back to haunt them with the Chevy and Dodge trucks having smaller, lighter, and more powerful and less complex powerplants. That DOHC 4 valve head stuff is great when you're revving to 8k but in a truck???? And they need to step up with a five speed auto, they are just more pleasureable to drive than a 4 speed, time to retire the old EAOD.

The Titan truck is an all new design and I feel certain that Ford and others will be copying those fully swinging opening rear doors very shortly. I drove a Titan yesterday for a couple of hours and it is a good driving truck with features that can't be beat on any other truck, Ford included. No doubt, it wins hands down in the interior design department, although the Ford is reasonably close. Going to do the same with a Ford, borrow it for a few hours and see how I like it.

Still don't know what to do about one of these beasts. Not sure I'd like it for my 50 mile daily commute. If I had lots of space, like Hershal, I'd just buy a beater, store it, and drive it the 4 or 5 times a month when I really needed a truck to tow or haul. But, I don't have the space and the new neighborhood we live in has the HOA patrol that flags stuff like this.

Anyone used a Lightning truck for a daily driver? Looks like a lot more fun, not as dang high as a truck, and can still tow and haul. Only downside is that it is a regular cab which doesn't do a lot for family stuff. But, to be honest I only ever carry Sydney twice a week and only for 5 miles. The rest of my driving I do solo, so I'm certain a true four door truck is too large for me. A reg cab or the cab with small doors in the back would work well.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
Pat, that is just too damn big!!!!!!!!!! My neighbor has one, starts it up at 530am and it sounds like a truck stop outside. Not as a daily driver, can't do that one.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron,

The 5.4 in the F150 is NOT a 4 valve, it is a THREE valve. I am not an impartial commenter as I sell Ford Trucks but the new F150 is the most refined and quiet truck I have ever driven. Plus you can get it it any version you want. Also do not overlook an F250 with the 6.0 Powerstroke diesel..they go like stink!
Let me know if you want further info.

Rick

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Over the years I have driven Ford, Chevy, International (I loved that old truck V8 4X4 late 60's vintage), Toyota. Virtually all were 4X4s. Chevy's rust too fast, I guess Ford has the modular motor sorted now, but I am very leary of them. I have nothing but good to say about my Toyota 4Runner (except maybe the 286 ft lbs of torque on the balancer/main pulley bolt.) Don't know about the new Explorers, but I wouldn't even consider them for pulling anything beyond a small bass boat.

I would have to look long and hard at the Ford F250 Powerstroke pickups. There is so much you can do with diesel engines today and the F250 is one helluva truck. I agree with you Rick.

Lynn

Ron Earp

Admin
Yep, sorry on the 3 valve head thing. But, they are still mod motors and I still think Ford F*&E#ed up going that route. They are quiet, but saddled with all the weight I felt they were outperformed by the Tunda and the Dodge by a good margin. The Ford has a fantastic interior though, better than the Dodge, but the Tundra has the Ford beat in my opinion.

If they would put the PowerSmoke into a 150 style truck, short bed and regular cab, it'd be fantastic. But, for some reason the marketing people decided if you want a Diesel you must want the hulking body that comes with it.

Out of the Ford trucks you sell, which one is the most popular?

I haven't even decided if I want a 4x4 yet, but I don't think I need it. I'm on pavement 100% of the time, do I need four wheel drive? Looks like to me a LSD rear would get me covered. Whatever happened to tire chains and snow tires in the event of snow? I think the marketing folks did a good job convinvcing everyone they need 4wd for that 1 time a year it snows in the South.

Ron Earp

Admin
I did check out the 250. It is hard to build a standard cab model with any frills. If you want frills you have to have the big cab. In the standard cab I was building I had a PowerSmoke with a 6 speed manual. I selected adjustable brake and gas pedals and then it requires me to change to a 5 speed automatic. Go figure. And, you couldn't have leather etc. or you'd have to switch body styles.

I've found that you can't build what you want, really, since everything is all linked together for unknown reasons. Whatever happened to the day when you just put down what you want and got it?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
What do people think of the Chevy Avalanche for towing?

[/ QUOTE ]

They think they are just as ugly with with a trailer.....

You will see a Diesel F150 in two years...the new V6 Powerstoke (the V8 with two cylinders loped off and balance shafts) that will be in the new Ford LCF commercial truck come March.

Why do you want a manual, the Torqshift auto is a fabulous gearbox!

Motor Trend did 0-60 with a Harley F250 4X4 in 8.5 seconds.....I know a lot of cars that don't go that fast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Ron, I've had 3 Expeditions with 5.4 engines, so as to questions about the engine I can say that I was impressed with the towing power and reliability of this engine. As far as truck choices IMHO the Ford F150 is the best looking with the white with gold lower sill the best color choice, IMHO. I know you are going to say that I am biased because I work for Ford but I have looked at the others (Ford buys one each of the compition and they are at the plant for a couple of weeks each year), and working for Ford or not if I was to buy a truck it would be a Ford. Do you want a X plan? Let me know if you decide to buy a Ford and I will help you save $5,000 off of sitcker.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
[ Whatever happened to the day when you just put down what you want and got it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron,

The days of "mix 'n match" are pretty well gone.....certification and production complexity issues (read QC) have caused a reduction in the possible combinations of options. Yes, leather is only available with a Super or Crew cab and the power pedals are NA with a manual due to the clutch pedal.

BTW, for those who "haul heavy" Ford has today announced the "TowBoss" package that will allow an F350 DRW 6.0 to 5th wheel tow 19,200 pounds! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

For anyone considering a Ford Super Duty truck be sure to get the factory installed trailer brake control...real slick, built in the dash (no "knee-knocker") has gain adjustment and will even tell you if there is a trailer connection problem or brake issue!

You can get stuff in trucks that cars didn't even have 10 years ago.

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Right now is a good time to be buying an '04, if you can find something you like on the lot and plan on keeping it awhile (since it will appear 1 year older at resale). I just bought an '04 Explorer to replace my Bronco - list was about $32K and with the X plan & all the rebates, plus an extra $1000 from the dealer, I got it for $23K. And they're going to put on a Class III hitch as well (came with a Class II). I'm sure I got ripped off somehow, but for the life of me I can't figure out how /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Only downside of the Explorer I bought is it has the V6, and so only has about 5000 lbs towing capacity. But I don't have anything to tow right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and I do need to worry about getting around in winter...

Ron Earp

Admin
It'd be hard to pass on a Ford with that sort of deal. Ford and Nissan are in the running, but that would certainly swap me over to a Ford in a hurry. Not sure what a "X plan" is, can someone explain it and how to use it? On any Ford truck, that is, use this mysterious x plan?

Ron

I'm not the expert on this, but as I understand it Ford has a whole bunch of "plans" - A, D, Z, X, ... for employees, retired employees, family members, suppliers, etc. With these plans, Ford sets the price for the vehicle, and it's printed on the invoice. So you just go to any dealer and tell them you're on the plan (and provide a PIN number which is linked to your DNA, or at least your name & address) and you don't have to haggle over the price. The A plan is for employees and has the best price. I think Z is for retired employees, but I'll let the Ford guys give more details if they feel so inclined. X is for others, and I believe that a Ford employee or retiree can sponsor 3 people in a year - mine came from my aunt, who is retired from Ford but headed up the funny fuels research when she was there. X plan price is something like 4% over A plan & in the case of my Explorer was under invoice. I'm not sure if there's a simple formula to determine X plan price from invoice, or if it varies depending on model...

I don't think you could get a new Ford GT on the X plan - I think it's any vehicle that's in the lease program that's eligible. You *can* get a Jaguar or Land Rover on the plan though...

Back