Custom side windows

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Ian,

I don't know of a shop that does it, but the best looking cutouts I have ever seen were laser cut. Depending on the thickness of the lexan, polycarbonate or what have you, it might be almost too good. The reason I say this is that, dependant on the geometry of the hinge, the width of the gap might be so narrow as to prohibit the flap from opening if the initial movement isn't perfectly perpendicular to the window. The thicker the window, the worse the problem. The upside is that the surface tension of water will keep it from traveling through a gap of this tight a tolerance, so I have been told.

That said, I'd much rather have this problem than a toll flap that was too loosey goosey in the opening. To avoid this, the flap is often made from a separate piece of material than what was cut from the window. There can be problems with fitment; especially problematic can be matching the compound curvature of the window that exists there. This is, obviously, not an issue when the flap is laser cut.

Regards,
Lynn

Back