automatic transmission

k?ning,

has anyone built a GT40 with FORD engine and automatic transmission?
which trans could be used?
AUDI automatic for 302?
how about using a stronger engine?

we have a customer who cannot drive with manual transmission.

thanks,

dominik, cape town

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Dominick,

I have always wondered if a Porsche Tipr would work some how in the midengine position. I assume the ring gear would have to be flipped to the other side of the pinion, but I have no idea if this is even possible, let alone, how difficult it might or might not be to accomplish if it is possible. The Audi actually uses an inline transaxle for front wheel drive, doesn't it? That would certainly make an Audi automatic a candidate. This shows that, at least, it can be done. I feel quite sure that neither flipping it upside down or reversing the engine rotation are options for an automatic transaxle, so ring gear manipulation is about the only way I can think of doing it.

Were there any automatic 914s? I know there are automatic Boxters, but the issue there would be the computer control. This might limit one to a complete boxter drive train, or a lot of research and customizations to provide the proper inputs to the transaxles management system so that it operated in an acceptable fashion.

The other options would probably include many of the front wheel drive setups. This would include mid engine cars that use front wheel drive transaxles (read transverse) like the Toyota MR2 and Fiero. The Cadillac Northstar front wheel drive setup would be worth consideration as well. I've seen this used in a Lambo before.

Lynn

Howard Jones

Supporter
Delorians used UN1 gearboxes(5 speed mamual) and a automatic renault box that is very close to a UN1 in size and shape. It would be a close thing as far as fitting into a MK1 bodywork at the rear but I think it could be done. Maybe use a MK2 type rear bodywork. They have a more open rear lower vallance.

The Delorian in a straight foward automatic. No electronics.

Kind of a question of $$$$$ or engineering skill I think.

I think the unit that Howard is refering to is Renault 414-00 type automatic that was used in the type 30 Renauls of 1975 to 1981 vintage. It is a 3 speed unit with a 2.31 to 1 1st, 1.42 to 1 2nd and 0.96 to 1 3rd with a final drive ratio of 3.88

Rear engine Porsche transaxles do not require a R&P flip. They just need to operate upside down. However I suspect that the automatic style boxes would not be able to run upside down and may then require a R&P flip.

I have a 5 spd Tiptronic from a Porsche Boxter 3.2s I am considering installing in my GT40.
I have had a good look round in the hope someone else has tried this. This is the only recent Automatic thread I found.
The box should be good for at least 270 BHP and will not need turning upside down or anything as the Boxter is mid engined.

I thought the 944 box w( see previous post re item for sale) was rear mounted and connected to the engine at the front of the car via a torque tube. The box was not bolted to the engine. Not sure how this could be mated direct to a Ford engine in the back of a 40.

Renault made a Renault 25 with a V6 engine and an auto box. This had an electronic management system , and I have no idea what power it will handle.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Dominick,
65_1_b.JPG

How about this tiptronic out of a boxter? It has 20 hours left on eBay. The price on it is $2500 with no bids on it. The add says the car only had ~2K miles on it. The sellar is not far from me either. I guess you wouldn't want to put too much of a V8 on it, but I know someone with a basically stock 5.0L that is rated at 225HP :) Let me know if I can be of assistance. To see the eBay posting click here

Regards,
Lynn

Edited to address to Dominick. Sorry Chris, I got confused about who was asking about the automatic.

thanks for all the replies, and sorry that I did not check what you wrote, but I never got any notification of replies.

makes me think, because ClubCobra is similar...

I remember drooling over a Pontiac Fiero where we wanted to use a AT trans boted to a lakewood bellhousing, but I can't recall what box it was.

thanks,

dom

I thought about using the TipTronic from a turbo Porsche before, but when I looked at the box, the ring gear cant be flipped as the driveshaft to the pinion gear runs up the outside of the gearbox. Not too sure about inverting it. The oiling system would have to be 'dry sumped' in some form as the collector will now be on the 'top' of the gearbox.

According to KEP the Audi 5000 automatic transaxle is a copy of the Ford C4 only with metric dimensions. I would think that would make it a viable choice for use behind a 302. Does anyone know anything about the durability of these transaxles?

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Eric,

I have thought about an automatic for along time assuming that someone will eventually want a "his and hers" pair of GT40s or that someone with a disability might need one. I agree that the Audi auto is probably the most viable alternative. One nice thing about autos is that the torque converter cushions the drive line from shock loading which is usually the parts breaker for a transaxle.

Regards,
Lynn

Back