CAV VIN Data Plate

Pat

Supporter
Can someone decode the CAV VIN plate for me?
Is the attached (photo) the 43rd Mono built or the 28th and is the build date January 2003?

Thanks,
Veek

Pat

Supporter
Let's try this again with a smaller attachment.

Attachments

• 44686-cavDataplate.jpg
    44686-cavDataplate.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 467

Pat

Supporter
Thanks all. It is being advertised as "chassis #43". I was thinking there was some linkage with the CAV number and the VIN but it appears not.
Regards,
Veek

Hmmm... I was told by Bob I had chassis #67, but the plate references #64. I have seen notes on the chassis that reference #67 & 68. Who knows. This said, I guess I have Car #64. Do I have this wrong? Perhaps it was a build #67, but there were 3 development mules ahead of mine that were not sold?

Attachments

• 44731-CAV-GT40-VIN_TAG-Close-Up.JPG
    44731-CAV-GT40-VIN_TAG-Close-Up.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 475

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Veek,

About the VIN plate, here's what I can tell. 1A28MONOB66 1A - USA 2A is Canada for example, 28 - Production number 28th chassis built, MONO - Monocoque chassis the first CAVs where tube frames B66 - Body Style B as in Mk1b 66 as in 1966. Cars are usually issued a 17 digit vin by the liscence office for road use. Tah Dah!

Pat

Supporter
Thanks Ian, this is interesting and I didn't know they were modeled after the 1966 MK1 (versus 65) and I think they went to the wide flares in late 68. Are the flare cars B67's?
Also, what is the difference between the US and Canadian cars?

Thanks again.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Veek,

You're welcome. The US and Canadian cars have the same staring point, however regulations prevent us from offering the South African built roller. Therefore we have much more work to do and take advantage of that opportunity to ad upgrades to the ventilation system, pedals, motor mounts, steering column, gear selector, suspension and body gaps etc.

For a while we were leading the factory in upgrades however I understand the latest production examples will come with most of what we've been doing as standard equipment.

This is great news for new buyers as Autofutra is totally committed to offering the best product possible.

CAV Canada has also tackled some more challenging modifications like right hand shift mechanism and wide track suspension to get those Gulf wheel arches filled.

Very cool stuff and great cars.

Cheers

Back