NAF look alike-well sorted

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
There is, what looks to be, a very well sorted North American Fiberglass car on a 1988 Formula Fiero chassis on eBay. The builder has put a lot of nice goodies on the car that other builder might want to take a look at. With everything together on one car it is approaching gaudy and there are several things that could be criticized - gas caps are wrong, for instance, but individual features may be worth looking at for ideas.

0c_12_sb.JPG

NAF on eBay

Lynn

Does one of you UK guys want to tell us what "NAF" means to you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif And whether it's an apt description for this car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Steve,

It's in the text:

NAF = North American Fibreglass

I was just being lazy and trying to get it to fit in the thread name. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

As to pointing the question to the UK, I guess I've gone dense (or daft in the Queen's English ;-) again: I don't get it. Unless, it is because I used the term "well sorted." I am not sure that we have an equally pregnant phrase in Colonial English, so I have adopted it into my vocabulary because it works.

Lynn

Keith

Ho ho! Once popularised by none other than the Princess Royal (Princess Anne) the expression naff (she famously once told a journalist to "naff off" or should that be orf?) allegedly standing for "Nasty as F***" is this possibly what Steve is implying here? Anyway, this expression has passed into our language and can now be found in the Oxford Dictionery no less. So yes.....unfortunate name for a car...and maybe appropriate for a purist GT40 replica builder.

Lynn

This is what Steve is referring to
From

A dictionary page

naff adj. To describe something as "naff" is fairly insulting. It implies that the subject is rather tacky, ineffectual and generally crap. This could be a part of the reason why the French clothing firm Naf Naf recently pulled out of the UK.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Then I was dense! A new word to use that I was totally unaware of. Thanks for setting me straight and my apologies to Steve: tip of the hat to you, sir! Had I been aware of the irony in the acronym that I chose to use, I would have taken credit for the intended pun. Since that was not the case, I can only confess that it was, obviously, quite by accident ;-)

Lynn

Here is a pic of the real #8 for comparison.

Attachments

• 45641-gt40-8.jpg
    45641-gt40-8.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 332
And I was going to car my car company `SHITE` Oh well, back to the drawing board /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I see said the blind man to his deaf partner who had a one legged side kick. The side kick was a friend to the man who stood corrected in his orthopedic shoes :)

Still and all, I do kind of like the guy's Nitrous console, actually, I have always liked overhead consoles. There is no particular reason for this, I just do. On the other hand the guy could do with about 10 less marker lights. I like the master cut off inside the scoop; although, you'd have to have monkey arms to reach it from the driver's seat even there ;-). All joking aside, I have one that is somewhat hidden behind the back upper corner of the passenger door, but that is very accessible by the driver. I haven't done it yet, but I plan to put one in the scoop to meet safety regulations of certain sanctioning bodies which require a cut off that is accesible to a rescue crew.

Regards,
Lynn

Back