Computers

What computer systems are you guys using and can you recommend them ? I have used DELL systems for a long time, but now I am totally at a loss to understand their marketing strategy and have lost all confidence in them. In the UK there is no way to contact DELL other than to a call centre ( based in INDIA,) or to place an order directly via the internet, There is no way to ask for any information, technical or otherwise, and the call centre staff ( in INDIA )appear to have a complete lack of understanding when dealing with a potential customer. Would it not make sense to have even a customer relations department that can deal with customer concerns or complaints in the country of use, with staff who can understand the language used. Your comments and recommendations would be appreciated, Frank

I'm typing this reply on a Dell but I have two other computers in the house, both of which I built by myself. While it's fun to build it yourself and to use exactly the parts you want, truth be told, it's probably cheaper to buy a Dell when you consider the cost of a new operating system like Win XP Pro, which is included in the Dell.

Keith

Hey Frank! I have 3 newish computers here and 2 laptops. I have always bought on line with no problems and found Compaq to be good (now HP) but, recently I needed a desktop in a hurry, went to PC World and bought an all singing all dancing E Machines PC from them with a flat screen (highly recommended if you have any eyesight issues) for absolutely peanuts. Good back up, full service dept etc. Make sure you go to the Business Centre as you get much better treatment. And there's usually a store within easy distance. Of course everyone else will have their own ideas and naturally, they're always the best! Whatever you go with - good luck!!

I went to PC World with best mate and computer expert Karin, who was eight and a half months pregnant at the time, and it took more than half an hour to get anyone to serve us, despite touring the store trying to waylay a staff member. I'd gone there prepared to spend a grand or so on a computer system but walked out in disgust. Eventually I went to a computer shop just up the road from my office, who built up a system to my requirements for less than PC World would have charged - and if it goes wrong I can always pop it back to them.
So far, a year on, it has worked perfectly. I think it's good to support local tradesmen..and I bet there's a computer shop near you Frank that itsn't part of a multi-national chain...

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Like Mark, I am typing this in a Dell - I have used it for a couple of years & found it be be totally reliableeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Aaaaaghhhh !

Keith

You pays your money etc. We are fortunate to have a well run PC world in Hedge End. Buying computers is a bit like enetering the lottery. Sometimes it pays off! Personally I prefer to buy off the Internet. Touch wood - it has workd for me so far, but, I have just purchased a computer in "kit" form (how appropriate) and was amazed how cheap you can build your own with a top spec. Basically just plug ins and save yourself literally hundreds.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Just joking - the Dell is built really well & priced really well. Only 2 problems - support & upgrades :

- Like Frank, I found that support is almost non-existent, or extremely foreign

- Mine only has 128M of RAM & an upgrade to 256M costs about $300 - nearly 1/3rd the cost of a whole new system ! Apparantly they use some non-standard memory & subscribe to the old "captive customer" theory.

My next PC will be another "spec yourself" clone which uses standard components.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

I too like Dell. Mine is Inspiron 8500 Laptop. Configured it on the net, delivered a couple of days later. Seems very reliable so far after two years. I have two Dell PC's at home also. Couldn't fault them for the price.

Mesh come highly recommended. Configure and buy on the net and it arrives 3 days later. Voila! Not the cheapest, but certainly good quality, and you can speak to someone who speaks your language if you call them.

Back