!!You Gotta Get This!!

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
All,

I just installed an Voice over IP software that, if you have broadband, just works! It is great!!!!

Go to: Skype Website

It is free between Skypee users, I am WLLGT40, as are conference calls with up to 5 memebers. It has the ability to connect into the standard phone system. Although this isn't free, the rates don't look bad. I had a collegue from work call me this morning at my office phone and it was great. I just called him via Skype and it sounded like he was sitting next to me. Try it an call me!!

Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Lee,

Can you call me from England with Microsoft Messaging and <u>talk</u> to me for free? Maybe its possible, but can you do it within a couple of minutes of finding out about it?

I did. When my associate called me this morning and told me how he had called me, I had downloaded and installed the software and we hung up so I could call him via the internet within 5 minutes. And the call had outstanding quality as good or better than most POTS call I get. I doubt seriously if any Micro$oft product can do that and do it that easily.

Think about it! We can talk to each other <u>worldwide</u> for free! This was started by a Swede, Niklas Zennström. The software was written by the same two Estonian programmers who wrote KaZaA.

Another company with a similar idea is Vonage (http://www.vonage.com), but here you get a regular number that's really a dynamic IP address, calls will only go through when your computer is up. But it costs money (from $14.95 plus tax a month), and only some countries are supported when people would like to reach you with a local call.

'Nough said.

Regards,
Lynn

OK, OK.
I have used windows messenger, but I have recently got broadband, and I haven't tried since then. But now I've got Skype too, and I must agree it was VERY easy to sign up. If anyone wants my username, PM me. Lynn - you're already in my contacts.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Re: !!You Gotta Get This!!

Lynn, I looked at the Skype site, and see that it is a dedicated to teleconferencing (no video)which probably means that it is better quality sound. I havent downloaded it (yet) but, what you have said shows that it has great speed and ease of use. Having said that, I do use Windows Messenger for overseas videocalls (computer to computer webcam and mike and speakers or headphones)and it is satisfactory both video and voice wise. Yahoo messenger does the same thing. Not sure whether you can call a telephone or hold a teleconference with them though. It will be interesting to see what the differences actually are.

Regards
Dave

I spoke to Lynn last night via Skype and can confirm the sound quality is very good. However, I haven't yet tried anyone via Windows messenger so I can't compare them. I hope to have some relatives set up with Windows Messenger next week so that we can have voice and video calls together. From my experience with Windows Messenger via dial-up, Skype is certainly much easier to set up and connect.

If you get a web cam, ad use Net Meeting, you can have a Video conference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brett

Back