Tour de España Classics 2004, 1048 & more

Hi everybody! I've been for the 3rd time to the "Tour de España", here in Spain, last October 16th and 17th. I've uploaded an album with my pics of the three GT40s present, and I'm still trying to identify them. I had only access to 1048, which was shown openly to everybody, but don't know which one are the yellow Swiss one, and the light blue of the Mason-Styrron couple.
I hope you enjoy the photos:
http://community.webshots.com/user/milano72

Javier

The light blue one has the registration number "EPR525D", which belongs to 1017. The yellow one is "AHK940F" which is 1069.

Perhaps someone should set up a web page to cross reference chassis numbers and registration number. It would make it easier to identify cars in photos. I might volunteer to do it, but not until after January.

Do you know if the #1048 GT40 at the Tour was the original one, or the replica built on a Sbarro tub that also uses that chassis number? The original 1048 was painted white when it was sold by the U.S. owner two years or so ago to Europe.

Attachments

• 46288-1048-7.jpg
    46288-1048-7.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 473
Hello,

I remember viewing the yellow car at Le Mans this year, I was amazed by the Borrani wheels.

I just posted another 6 chassis numbers in the thread "PICTURES FROM GT40s AT LE MANS CLASSIC" and with 1069 we have 11 cars entered.

Best regards

Yesterday night I found the s/n of 1017 myself. In Forza #55 there's an article about Sally MAson-Styrron where they say the GT40 was an ex-Hoare car that run at Spa and Le Mans in 1966.
About 1048 and its autenticity, can't you distinguish from the pics or the ownership? I made a couple more photos when it was open. Just e-mail me privately and I can send them.

After this warm answer I'll try in a few days to upload the GT40s of previous years, if you care.

Javier (Thank you very much!)

Re: Tour de España Classics 2004, 1048 & more

When the genuine 1048 was rebuilt it had Gurney-Weslake heads and canted IDAs. The red 1048 on the Tour de Espana doesn't (I don't know if this helps or confuses the issue, but it's my 2 cents).

Cheers

Rob

Re P1017 saw this car at Goodwood Festival of speed this year. The only thing non standard on it is the vented dome on the drivers' door. I cheated, and looked at the 1/24 Fujimi kit of the car to see that it raced unmodified as number 44 at the 1966 Spa-Frncorchamps. And as number 12 at the 1966 Lemans.
Regards Allan

Fakes GT 40

Who known the story about "1012", the fake who is accepted at Le Mans Classic when the real car is refused ?
And what about 1079, car destroyed at Le Mans 1968 and fake by Sbarro ?

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps someone should set up a web page to cross reference chassis numbers and registration number. It would make it easier to identify cars in photos. I might volunteer to do it, but not until after January.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a fit of avoidance, I put together a quick web page with chassis numbers and registration numbers.
http://bens-pics.home.comcast.net/GT40/numbers.html

If you're aware of any errors or have some additions, please let me know.

Re: Tour de España Classics 2004, 1048 & more

Nice one!

I'll have a look and see if I can add any. Would a column charting paint colors add to the usefulness of this page?

Rob

[ QUOTE ]
Nice one!

I'll have a look and see if I can add any.

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks.[ QUOTE ]
Would a column charting paint colors add to the usefulness of this page?

[/ QUOTE ]Perhaps as either another column, or as another page. I'm not sure how to do it on the same page without getting too crowded (some cars went through a lot of color changes).

Brian Stewart
Supporter
While 1078 was in New Zealand it was red with a central white stripe and had the registration number GT 40 (surprise, surprise!)

Ben, just an idea. Is there some way to note in your table cars that are not registered. We have #1109 here in QLD(Australia) and it gets regulary competed. Maybe a description in brackets of current colour scheme, owners name, regular drivers name. #1109 is Gulf Coloured and is owned by Rob Sherrard & regulary driven by Wayne Park.

I think colors are going to be a separate project. I definitely won't have time to start on it until late January.
(though if anyone else feels inspired, feel free to start without me).

Back