More GT40 stuff..

Michael Hipperson has posted a few times on this board. He's certainly had some wonderful cars.

Regarding P1005, an observation on the intriguing world of original GT40s:

[ QUOTE ]
It now has proper Appendix K historic papers proving its ancestry from 1965 through all its owners. I was able to help with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's interesting how an owner from 1971 can be asked to help ratify the pedigree of a heap of junk, destroyed by fire 4 years later. See Chris Melia's excellent photo in the following thread:

P1005 - scrap iron

All this has got me thinking. I own the original wheels and other parts off 103, which was recently sold for $3m, as well as the spare wheel off 1044, and the doors off 1033. Has anyone got any spare chassis plates /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif?

Rob

I was lucky enough to see 1005 during its rebuild, I also supplied the side windows prior to it running at goodwood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I owned 1005 1971-75.Purchased from society photographer Julian Seddon for £4600.Sold to Salt Walther for £17,000.
Now resplendant in Shelby Candy Apple Red.Photos as in 1972 and 2004 on my site
www.jam.co.uk/hipperson/
Car was indeed built up from spares from Bill Wonders car.

hi Guys

so where did the new tub come from, and who did the restoration?

Regards
Chris.

Hey Chris

Resurrection. A restoration IMO has to begin with more than a piece of paper transferring title, and from the photo in the mud that's what I think someone began with.

Best

Whoa.. I didnt want this to be a can/worm/open scenario!!

I just thought we'd appreciate the private pictures and storys and paperwork pertaining to our favorite cars.

I assume I can erase the thread by editing my first post if this descends into something negative..

Truth is neither negative or positive it is simply the truth. Even though you and others may not like to hear what Chris, Rob, and I believe to be true that doesn't mean we're not going to post what we believe to be true.

Hello there !
First post ... with an interesting picture from a car which was supposed to have his fate been sailed.
Bsrgs

Attachments

• 46733-Image2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 704
Humm.... deadly idiot !

Attachments

• 46735-Image2comp.jpg
    46735-Image2comp.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,203
Wow that does look pretty stuffed. So which car is that one?

Jim
I understand your concern, but I am worried that your tenacious focus could put people like hipperson off posting. I for one think his web pages are absolutely fascinating, and whilst being keen to hear the truth, I am also keen to hear everyone else's view of history. He likes how his old car has been restored. He isn't claiming that it is original. He is simply giving us the opportunity to have an insight into his motoring history, which happens to include an episode with a GT40 prior to being as good as destroyed, and I am very pleased he has done so. Thank you Michael. All these titbits of information give a great sense of history, and I just don't think we need reminding of the dubious history every time a chassis number is mentioned. Once is a while is fine, but it seems we can't have a single post about a car which is not totally original without a jibe about all the bits which are wrong. Rant over. There is a great selection of pictures in the 'Garden Ornaments' section.

Re: Total destruction

[ QUOTE ]
Let's guess ...

[/ QUOTE ]

P1079 - Willy Mairesse - Lap 1, Le Mans 1968?

Yes Rob, GT40 1079 the car that Sbarro "rebuilt" ... in 3 different cars !!!!! and the one fitted in the 80's with Peugeot 505 Turbo race engine was entered at Le Mans this year.
Sbarro is so magic.
The picture is taken at the Hunaudieres corner were Mairesse lost the control while fastening his seat belt.
Maybe this is the example which still retains its original shifter and grid ?
Regards

[ QUOTE ]
Wow that does look pretty stuffed. So which car is that one?

Jim
I understand your concern, but I am worried that your tenacious focus could put people like hipperson off posting. I for one think his web pages are absolutely fascinating, and whilst being keen to hear the truth, I am also keen to hear everyone else's view of history. He likes how his old car has been restored. He isn't claiming that it is original. He is simply giving us the opportunity to have an insight into his motoring history, which happens to include an episode with a GT40 prior to being as good as destroyed, and I am very pleased he has done so. Thank you Michael. All these titbits of information give a great sense of history, and I just don't think we need reminding of the dubious history every time a chassis number is mentioned. Once is a while is fine, but it seems we can't have a single post about a car which is not totally original without a jibe about all the bits which are wrong. Rant over. There is a great selection of pictures in the 'Garden Ornaments' section.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent posting, I agree completely!

Here is 1079 before the Le Mans accident in 1968 and below that from the 2004 Tour Auto.

I think the first photo below was taken on the day of the accident. The story goes that the driver's door did not shut properly after the running start at Le Mans. I had not heard about the seat belt story. I heard that on the first lap, the door latch came undone on the corner into the Mulsanne straight. It flew open and whether Willy was wrestling with the door or, according to some reports, the wind just took hold, the car was wrecked per Erik's photo above.

It's a real shame that Willy never fully recovered from the injuries he sustained and he sadly committed suicide soon after.

As for the car, I think Sbarro started the restoration when he bought the wreck in 1969.

mairesse.jpg

1079now.jpg

Cheers!

Rob

Back