Hood Latches Again.

I am finally comeing to the end of attaching the cladding and was thinking that since i was going to us some type of locking device on the rear hood I needed to start thinking about it before doing the final riviting on the firewall. I have done some research by checking all the posts concerning this topic and have come down to trying to chose between two solutions.

Hershal has a good one but the price for the clips seems hight to me ($104 US per side). The second idea was to use hood latches from an existing car. i noted that some of you have used those from the original Mini. Since that is not an option here in the states I went to a salvage yard and took a look at what was available. The lataches fro a 86 to 90 Accura Legend look to be perfect. The units are compact, they bold onto the donar car instead of being rivited and the car has two of them so you only need one donar car.

My question is can anyone post a picture of the bracket that was made to mount the latches? I'm trying to see if I should make accomadations now or can i wait till i am fitting the body.

Peter

I built my own mounts to which I will fit typical hood pins, nothing fancy. Took awhile to get the angle right, but I think I have it. I'd send a picture, but they're off the car right now for paint.

Hi Peter

I did something similar to what you have in mind (I think). I used latches from an early model Subaru for the same reasons you chose the ones you did. Mine are cable operated from inside the cabin using a Toyota (from memory) petrol cap release and a pile of push bike parts for the cables.

Like almost everything else you try to fabricate for a GT40, the hardest part seems to be making the parts you have fit into the available space. I made everything as small as I could and they only just fitted in.

The last picture I posted in the builders forum under Roaring Forties #24 shows a picture of how the socket half is mounted. Their the black things mounted next to the intermediate window, inside the engine bay. I don't have any other pictures at the moment.

I put rivnuts into the chassis to mount this before I fixed the panels in place.

Regards

John

[ QUOTE ]
My question is can anyone post a picture of the bracket that was made to mount the latches? I'm trying to see if I should make accomadations now or can i wait till i am fitting the body.

[/ QUOTE ]Take a look at the restoration pictures at RacingIcons.com. A couple of the pictures show the brackets on the original cars.

This page seems to have the best picture: http://www.racingicons.com/gt/1036.htm

Back