Cooling Pipes

Has anyone got something that can do pipe beading for cooling pipes etc? I don't fancy paying Earls £70+VAT per die, or Frosts £400+ for a generic one. If not, has anyone got any suggestions to put a bead or something similar into stop hoses blowing off?

Brett

Hi Brett

Speak to Roy Smart - he has a neat trick using a ball-pein hammer and dolly or anvil as I recall.

Alternatively - how about a bead of weld around the pipe, or failing that - 'Evo-Stick' - sounds mad but I'm told it works very well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

In the U.S. we have conduit benders that are pretty cheap and available at the local hardware shop. Depending on the material you are using for the tubes, that might work well.

If your wall thickness is too small for a smooth bend, try filling the tube with water, then freeze the water. That will support the inside of the tube when you bend it.

I have seen a little hand held bead roller for tubes, but I'm not sure how much it cost or where to get one, sorry.

[ QUOTE ]
If your wall thickness is too small for a smooth bend, try filling the tube with water, then freeze the water. That will support the inside of the tube when you bend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never tried bending tubes, but I've heard the suggestion of filling the tubes with sand before bending them.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Brett
A simple way to stop pipes from sliding off under pressure is to put three pop rivets equally spaced around the tube about 1/4" from the end to act as a bead. I have done this a few times with no problems.

Brian.

Brett
I have a contact at the company that makes all the pipes for JCB's and they do the beading you are talking about.
They are in Blandford. Dorset. Let me know if want me to arrange

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Brett, I finally settled on a local exhaust shop for the coolant pipes - they were able to do all the bends (either with pre-made mandrell bends (perfect) welded together, or with a pipe bender (a little stretched & narrowed, but functional).

For the pipe ends, the have a flairing device on their pipe bender machine & I got them to put a small flair about 1/4" along the pipe & to increase the pipe dia by about 1/8". Its not hard to slip the rubber pipe over this small lip & once you put a hose clamp behind, it has no chance of blowing off. Cheap & easy !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Howard Jones

Supporter
You can wrap 8 gauge copper single strand wire around the end of the tube a couple of times and then silver sodder it in place. Simple and easy.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Bret,

Eastwoods has a couple of bead rollers. The cheaper ($239) of the two is seen here:
p995.jpg

To check out the the other one ($399) or other Eastwood products check out the Eastwood Website.

Regards,
Lynn

Howard, I like your idea. Does it stay put? I was thinking of paying someone to put a weld bead on my aluminum pipe, but if your idea works, I'll have some extra beer money.

Brett
I always use aluminum conduit for water tubes, it bends nicely with one on those cheapo pipe benders since conduit comes in the same generic sizes as schedule pipe. Also, for those really tight bends one can purchase aluminum elbows in 45 and 90 degree turns, the radius on these is about 2 1/2" on centerline, and they will really fit those tight places. You can cut the aluminum tubes with a medium sized tubing cutter, or even a wood cutting band saw works well, just spray a little WD40 or equiv in the blade and you are off to the races. The aluminum conduit is nice and soft, bens easily without kinks, and can be purchased at any electrical supply. The aluminum elbows we use come from an architectural supply house (railings and related fittings), and I believe they run about $6.00 ea, pretty cheap!. As far as the bead at the end of the tube, I have seen a tool similar to a bead roller that beads up the ends of the tubes and prevents the splices from sliding off, this is particularly important when using silicone hose. Also if you are using silicone hose make sure the clamps have an inner shield to prevent the silicone hose from extruding thru the slots in the clamp.
Good Luck
Phil

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
It is called a Crox tool. The small handle pushes a ball bearing out into the tube as the tool is rotated with the larger handle. The Depth into the tube is adjustable. The outer adjustable sleeve is touching the ball in the photo. ( it is spring loaded). One tool does one size tube. Dont know whether or not you can still buy them. I have from 5/8 to 2"

Attachments

• 47357-Crox.JPG
    47357-Crox.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 389
I know Earl's sells that type of tool, but nothing for 2". Did a web search for Crox with no luck, so no good there.

Thanks Brett. I thought they didn't have larger sizes. One tool os all I need and that is worth the money to me.

Back