My NASCAR experience...

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
My company is an associate sponsor for the #20 Busch car. I've attended several races over the course of the year to support hospitality events and watch the boys drive in circles. I've told my work collegues that if it don't turn right I don't watch it. Even after several up-close experiences I still haven't figured out the bubba factor. Don't get my wrong. Joe Gibbs racing runs one of the best operations out there. Equipment and people are top notch. Mike Bliss is a good driver. I just have a hard time staying interested in the race. Pit stops are the most exciting aspect of the race. Three wide in a turn on a one mile tri-oval is cool. But caution after caution really slows the pace. Might as well have a thirty lap sprint 4 times as the real racing seems to come on at the end. An humorous anecdote, we were standing near victory lane and the 2005 Smith and Wesson car was being photographed. Bubba comes up to the fence and askes these fellows if they have any hats. They say no. Next he askes "What does your company do?!" Is this to typical audience? I dunno... Keep in mind that I do find formula one somewhat interesting. Guess I never got to have that dirt track date experience. Am I off base?

Pho1.jpg

Malcolm

Supporter
Interesting fence over roof of car. Guess it is to stop air spilling off before it hits the rear spoiler? Never seen that before.

Malcolm,

While you are on the subject of aerodynamics, have you
ever seen these things race on a dirt track? Sprint cars are going sideways 50% of the time, straight 25%, and upside down the other 25!%. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was invited to drive one in a charity race a few years ago. What a blast! Semi-controlled, 4 wheel drifts, at 85MPH in somebody else's car!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I'm guessing that all that vertical hardware on the roof is supposed to act like a rudder. Trust me, it doesn't help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Attachments

• 47295-goldenx.jpg
    47295-goldenx.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 250

Ron Earp

Admin
[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing that all that vertical hardware on the roof is supposed to act like a rudder. Trust me, it doesn't help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is excellent!! But, take that stuff off on top of the car and you'll find out how much it helps, a lot! Nice article on these a few months ago in a car mag, amazing the people can drive these things at speed with so much hp!

R

Ron,

Before the charity event, we were told by the car owners to have fun, but not too much fun(wreck)! These cars have some ungodly horsepower! How the pros get around the track so damn fast is far beyond my imagination or talent. But....It sure was fun trying! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
As far as the vertical surfaces go, at speed in the turns, they do help, but they don't keep the rear end from always trying to pass the front. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The scary part is being right on the verge of losing control the entire time, and having a bunch of other non-talented idiots right next to you, thinking the same thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bill

I love sprint cars. The cars are just under control and capable of endless wheel stands. This is real racing. The wings are nothing more than a 4X8 sheet of plywood to help stop the cars when they turn them sideways.It's basically unrestricted racing.
I HATE Nascar. What a joke. 30 year old car design, all one shape and not one of them is available from the factory in rear wheel drive.The rules are so contrived that they can determine the winner on any weekend buy rounding a corner or changing the wing 1 degree (Dale Junior wins Daytona after his father dies??). Used to be race on sunday and sell on monday. The factories have no connection to Nascar so all new technology stopped. Make them drive the cars the way they are manufactured, front wheel drive and 6 cylinder engines. I would rather watch a formula Saab race.As far as I'm concerned, Nascar is the WWF of the racing world.
Bill

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
As far as I'm concerned, Nascar is the WWF of the racing world.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO - Definition of Bubbafest...

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Man...I've been using the "WWF"/nascar line for years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
The problem with NASCAR is the loudest whine is not from the differential!

Rick

I think NASCAR is building up to the point to where they can
stick a woman driver in there. They keep searching for that untapped market or audience and they will find it.
To me...I don't understand why it's the fastest growing phenominon in racing...WHYYYYYYY?

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
NICE ONE!! Bubbafest it is.... I've also been using the WWF/NASCAR thing too, about get my butt kicked by my NASCAR friends as well....They always ask, well then show me some racing I can watch, and, to that, I really don't have an answer since F1 isn't an option and the neat stuff like American LeMans and SCCA stuff isn't on TV.

Ron,
You must not get the Speed channel. They run the Petit Lemans and all the road racing events all the time. All the major tracks like Road Atlanta, Vir, etc.They run the 24hrs. of Lemans(full 24 hrs) and Daytona as well. Its usually on the upper channels.
Bill

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Hey Mark,
Thanks for posting the photo of me and the wife.
That was a great day for us!
Jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
I do get the channel, but my friends don't, so their point was "show me something that they could watch". In other words, major network coverage.

Ron

Jim,
not even in jest. I believe that's grounds for a lifetime ban from this site.
I agree with Ron in that all other racing on Speed is just a fill in for Nascar. You get sporadic programs of WRC or Petite LeMans, but, those are not every week, like Nascar. They spend thursday, friday and saturday talking about the upcoming race and monday tuesday and wednesday analyzing the race.Same crap every week. I'd rather watch a Barbara Streisand interview. OK maybe I went too far with the Striesand thing.
By the way since the WWF is no longer I am going to use WCW or NWO.
Bill

Back