Dunlop post historic tyres - 15"

Dunlop post historic tyres - 15\"

All,

I've been busy making templates to try different tyre/rim sizes & I reckon A 15" wheel with an 11" rim, fitted with a Dunlop 600/1200-15 will *JUST* fit the rear of my GTD.

Even on full bump, my template clears the wheelarch, but only just. I have standard GTD rear arches.

Does anyone use this combination, or is it safer just to go down a size & fit dunlop 525/1050-15 rears on a 10" rim...??

Any help greatly appreciated.

I got the size info here..
http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/site/tyres/motorsportRange/historicVintage/index.shtml

Malcolm

Supporter
Re: Dunlop post historic tyres - 15\"

I run these exact tyres on 10 inch rims. Tight fit but clears ok. Not road legal and floppy side wall. Those that follow me on the track comment on the tyre wall leaning over in hard corners. But a nice tyre for progressive grip. If you run standard GTD rear anti roll bar setup you need to ensure the bolt heads don't rub the tyres in these kinds of corners.

I will be using Avon tyres next should my efforts work there.

Julian,

I use the Dunlops Vitage on my GTD40 with 9/10' rim 15' wheels and there is no problem to mount the 5,50 M 15 on front and the 6,00 M 15 on rear.
However pls note they not radial tires and if you use them on the road,be carefull when road is not flatt as you may have to get grip on the steer...
RGds
Fred

Thanks for the replies chaps, I was pretty sure they would fit, but it's nice to know for sure. I'm using GTD racing rear uprights, & I have no problems clearing the suspension...

I was more concerned with the proximity of the sidewall to the wheelarch, especially on full bump. I'm ordering my wheels next week & want to get the inset/offset right.. any mistakes here could be expensive!!

Thanks for the warnings re road legality. I've been a really good boy this year, so Daddy Christmas has promised me two sets of wheels.... one for dunlops & one for the road legal avons...!!

Julian,

Looks like we have the same Xmas daddy.
Let me know what you paid as I will go same way as you are .
You can email me if you preffer.
Fred

Malcolm

Supporter

Interesting to see Julian that you intend these dunlops to be your second set of tyres. I would not choose these as a specific second set but consider them a single set all rounder (taking into account road legality). You may find that your avons actually are better than the dunlops. In fact right now there is a strong level of support for that position. I think I am now the only competition person left on dunlops as a regular tyre. And I am trying to wear them out asap! Therefore why not get a full set of slicks for your second set of tyres? Avon, Hoosier and Goodyear all do options there.

As to fitment against body work, take all your measurements from the passenger side of the car. It will be tighter that side than the drivers side!

If you want to come and see my car just call. Your name sake has old dunlops on the shelf and maybe can be persudaded to give you one to try out.

Feel free to call me to discuss if you want to.

Malcolm,

Thanks for the offer, It would be nice to try a 1200/600 on the car, just for sizing up, so i may scrounge some castoffs!

Slicks are tempting, but not allowed where I'm going!.. nice idea tho.....

I'll be pleased to post details of the wheels when they arrive.

Regards,

Julian, you are more than welcome to trial fit my set of Dunlops on your car, they are sitting racked up at the moment as spares for if Malcolm ever manages to wear out his old set... rather than just puncturing them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!
I'm currently running the Hoosiers as the Dunlops although look good and are great fun to drive on, just get a bit wallowy when you start to lean on them. Jools

Jools,

What model Hoosiers are you using? I'm assuming you are using type D tread pattern?

Model no. Front 45520,Rear 45540. D.O.T Radials Tread Pattern M. Tread pattern does not show up well in Hoosiers brochure, but there is some tread on them ...really! Rears are sized at only 275/50 but looking at the actual tread width they come up at 10.1" wide...this is greater than some other larger section tyres. The devil is in the detail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter

Jools,

If the model number above (45520) coorlates with the series R3S03, Hoosier has discontinued that series and replaced it with R3S04. New tread pattern and steel belted instead of glass belted.

The "chicken scratch" tread on the R3S03 has been eliminated on the new R3S04 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Now it's basically a slick with two radial grooves /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If I am wrong about the reference, I'd be interested to see what I am missing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Of course, I am speaking for the USA. Maybe in the UK it's different.

Malcolm

Supporter

The normal Avon slicks used in the Uk are the 8.5 by 23.5 by 15 for the front and 11 by 25 by 15 for the rears. As you can see the rolling diametres are much less than the dunlops so these are not like for like sizes. If you want to be closer to the dunlops in size I beleive the Goodyear bluestreak tyres are better. They are also better for track day type uses as the Avons are very soft and you will kill them off quickly if used regularly on the track for many laps. Great for hill climbs and sprints though.

Julian, why not come up for the club lunch this coming Sunday and I can show you my car then and give you Julian's tyres as mentioned above. Up to you.

Hope this helps

Malcolm

Tim you are right , the R3SO3's are now discontinued but I belive there may be some stock still available.I have used a tyre groover to re-cut tread ( only a couple of mm at a time ) back into the existing tread pattern. They have wear indicators so you can tell how far you can go!

Back