VDO Cockpit and Vision gauges

I did a search but couldn't find anyone using these gauges. They look great (black bezel and red pointer). Although not period correct, is anyone using them? And if so, could they post or send me some pictures?

Thanks
Bill

Bill,

Ask, and ye shall receive!

I hope the photos help!

Bill

Attachments

• 48876-105-0588_IMG.jpg
    48876-105-0588_IMG.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 540

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Like Bill B, I am using VDO Vision gauges, but have chrome bezels. I was very impressed with the electronic speedo - it takes a feed from a range of sensor types (mine is just the standard Porsche G50) & you can have any set of gears / wheels / tyres - to calibrate it, all you do is enter calibration mode by starting the engine with the button pushed in, push the button at the start of a measured km or mile, push the button again at the end & its done. Mine was only 1 kmph out at 100kmph when checked against my engineer's fully calibrated setup.

All in all, good quality German engineering at a reasonable price.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Thanks Bill B. That is exactly what I was looking for. The red pointers and black face and dials are awesome looking. These are the gauges I'm going with.

Regards
Bill D

Peter, the standard VDO gauge can be had in 160 to 180 rnage - If you want 200 you have to have it recalibrated. DRB will do it for you if you like or you could try some more local shops like Lauderdale Speedometer (www.lspeedo.com). If you have a friend in the UK, you can get one that goes to 220 mph! (and it's a stock offering over there - But I could not find anyone to send one here!).

cheers

Chris Duncan

Supporter
AutoMeter has electric and mechanical speedos that go to 200mph off the shelf.

AUTOMETER LINK

"Too bad they don't make one showing your money drain away."

They don't make a meter that goes that high, but it's directly proportional to pride of ownership!!

One other question for anyone, what type gauges are you using?

I'm thinking of the standard

Speedo
Tach
water temp
fuel
oil pressure
voltage

and then the additional

engine oil temp, trans oil temp combined. (One gauge switched to two senders)

fuel pressure.

Attachments

• 49008-speedo.jpg
    49008-speedo.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 509
Peter,

My speedo reads to 180MPH, but I somehow doubt that I'll be reaching that speed with any regularity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW, I checked the accuracy of the VDO gauge with a handheld GPS, at 150MPH. It read within 2MPH + or -(indicated)at that speed.

Bill

I found a company in the UK that offers the 220 MPH speedo and will ship to the U.S. However, it is only offered in 100 mm in size. Is that the correct size for these cars?

Bill

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Here in Oz, we are blessed by the metric system - my VDO speedo reads up to 300kmph (186mph), so I guess the innards are the same as Bill Bayard's setup.

Kalun,
from left to right, I have :

Tacho
Volts
LH Tank
RH Tank
Water Temp
Speedo
Oil Temp
Oil Press

Apart from the tacho & speedo being in the wrong spots (RTA Regs) it seems to be a fairly good setup.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Actually to tell you the truth, I prefer lower reading speedo's. Not as cool, but so, so much easier to use when driving on the street and at legal speeds.

Fitted that same 300kph to last Cobra I built and boy the needle rarely moved above half way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So quite happy with 220kph white backed VDO speedo in my GT40. Easy to use and there are no local tracks(or roads) where I will be able to drive it above 200kph.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Craig, I have to admit that you are quite right - I went for the 300kph speedo early on, just thinking that it looked cool on the dash.

Now with a few road kms under the belt, I would think the lower range unit would have been a better choice - better resolution at the speeds that I do on the road & less chance of speeding fines.

Beyond 220kph, you are either on the race track & watching everything but the speedo, or you are on the road & are a temporary citizen !!

Kind Regards (& Merry Christmas),

Peter D.

Peter, I think it's a trap everyone falls into. 300kph speedo just souns so cool. From memory the next step down was pretty big, was it 180kph in that model range? I've got the other model range of VDO guages fitted to my GT40, the modern white backed ones. Came with the car. They have a higher speedo, from memory 220kph. A better compromise.

Here is the one that came in my CAV. They look great and are very accurate and easily calibrated to different wheel sizes. Joseph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 49309-PC240127.jpg
    49309-PC240127.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 642
Joseph, 220mph. Wow. That's 354kph in our language. Wow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

From what I have figured out is that if I can get the red pointer around to " MPH " I'll be going fast enough to get to heaven in a hurry. Joseph

Ron Earp

Admin
Are most people doing the non-traditional gauges in the 40? That is, not the Smiths/SW sort of look? I was thinking that Autometer or one of the gauge companies had some nice gauges that had that look instead of the flashly/NASCAR look of some of these gauges.
Ron

Back