who are the builders?

I am a newbie here, and what a wonderful, informative site, however the more I read about the different manufacturers ( GT40 Reproductions), the more confusd I get. This is a thread from the Maufacturers forum: "ATTENTION: THIS IS A FORMAL STATEMENT FROM CARCRAFT AUTO WORKSHOP,CAPE TOWN ,TO CONFIRM THAT THE POSTING OF 15TH JANUARY 2004, WAS NOT POSTED BY THIS OFFICE,AND IS BEING INVESTIGATED.
WE WOULD HEREBY LIKE TO COFIRM THAT WE DO SUPPLY THE GT4TR KIT TO THE UK AND RSA ONLY,NOT THE USA.WE DO NOT BUILD THE CAV GT AND HAVE NEVER DONE SO.
PLEASE ACCEPT OUR APOLOGIES FOR ANY CONFUSION CAUSED.
YOUR SINCERELY

JOHN SPENCE AND JEAN FOURIE
. But my understand is that Carcraft and Autofutura make the CAV, now there is also a " Bailey Edwards" CAV GT, and there is also CAV... California Advanced Vehicles. How many CAV manufacturers are there, and one last question, Is superformance going to make a GT40 , and if so, where are they, in a timeline, to releasing their product? Any opinion on these questions would be a great help in the decision making process, I appreciate your time and attention. Thanks in advance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sorting out the manufacturers will not be all that hard if you spend a few hours combing the threads. There are Roaring Fourties and DRB (AUS), MDA and Toronado (UK), ERA, GT40NA and CJE (US), CAV (RSA) and probably a few more (or less...)

The larger issue for you is likely to be figuring out how to get one into Canada. I have only started to search, but I gather that there needs to be some special dispensation from Transport Canada to get any kit here. Somehow the CAV was allowed in, and there is a dealer in Calgary with at least two for sale (one with, and one without engine).

There is Chris Martino who is supposed to be bringing the MDA (UK) kit in, but updates are infrequent, and I believe it's turned out to be a larger chore than he originally expected (government...)

And thus the journey begins... Good luck!

Just to ake some corrections/clarifications:

Tornado not Toronado (unless you really want to build an
Oldsmobile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

CJE is on hold right now, as the project is stalled.

Fran Hall is going to have a kit available in the US by
summer 2005 - Race Car Replicas - http://www.race-car-replicas.com

CAV now exists http://www.cav.co.za - this is Fourie/Spence
(aka Autofutura) Ian Clark (aka Canuk40) is the Canadian rep

Premier Motorsports is in the US - their kit will be
available next year.

GT40NA might stillbe around, but they don't sell kits anymore.

And all the usual suspects - Roaring Forties, ERA, GT40
Australia (DRB), and MDA.

Ian

My mother in law is a customs agent here. She says there is no way to bring a kit car into Canada. However, bring in the body with 1/2 of the kit then bring the frame with the other half you can declare it as parts. You then build your car, call it a U-built then it goes through some structural testing and safety inspections, (us in vancouver do emissions testing too) then you get an assigned vin # and all is well.

Below is the Bailey Edwards cars website - according to another recent thread by Auto Futura (Carcraft SA) the Bailey-Edwards car is the car being marketed by CAV USA (California Advanced Vehicles), which has nothing to do with the CAV GT that Auto Futura/Carcraft SA is marketing in the USA/Canada.

Both new 'CAVs' are made in South Africa.

The original producer of the South African CAV GT, known as Cape Advanced Vehicles SA, ceased trading in early 2004.

Confused? I am.

Bailey Edwards Cars website

Cheers

Rob

WOW!! Bailey Edwards Cars' USA distributor is a 2 hour drive from me!! Maybe I should take a drive and check them out next week while I'm off from work!!

Bill D

Hi there,

MDA should be cleared by Transport Canada in January 2005. It has taken me over a year to get things sorted out with TC, who by the way, are on the warpath with respect to the kitcar industry. Fortunately, I have been aided by the proper rep at TC and Mark at MDA to get all of this sorted out. MDA and myself are also investigating the CMVSS testing for future full certification.

I have submitted a special parts list to TC just 1 week ago with confidence that it will meet the requirments. I read in this thread that you need to make 2 seperate shipments to get the full package over here - not so. One parts shipment is all that TC will allow to bring over from the manufacturer. The rest needs to be sourced via donor vehicle or through parts from other suppliers (and most need to be purchased in Canada). I'll enlighten everyone how this will play out, where to get everything.

My apologies for the long delays between updates but I was sure sounding like a broken record about the status would serve no benefit either - better to wait until all the facts were put in order.

I will have a full update in January 05 about the offical parts list for the MKI and suppliers.

Look for the new MDA website in January as well.

Soon my friends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry I wasnt clear, what I meant was for the average Joe trying to get a kit into Canada, when you go to customs, declare the stuff as parts for your car, not parts for a kit car you are building. The word kit car should never exit your mouth. You can bring as many parts as you want, whenever you want from whoever this way. Best thing is have the whole thing shipped to somewhere just across the line (assuming you live close enough to the border) Then just break it up into smaller peices so it doesnt look like a car and bring it across. You need to get separate receipts etc. but you get the point. A little sneaky but you dont really lie.
Or just save the hassle and buy a from someone else who can import them.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Rob, Bill

Yes it can be confusing, although the Autofutura posting about this should clear the air. The importers of the Bailey/Edwards cars include an ex-partner of Bob Lacey who retained the California Advanced Vehicles name and CAVGT.com domain. Apart from that there is nothing in common with the CAV GT40 produced by Autofutura.

With another manufacturer of tube chassis cars popping up there should be more cars available for the home builder or budget concious, this is a good thing.

Cheers

Forgive me, but confusion still reigns. Can I ask a question or 2 to try and simplify?
1.Cape Advanced Vehicles-gone or not?

Sorry-The last post got sent in error--not complete. Here is the whole thing:

Forgive me, but confusion still reigns. Can I ask a question or 2 to try and simplify?

Cape Advanced Vehicles-gone or not? One source says CAV stopped trading but another says "CAV now exists -- this is Fourie/Spence(aka Autofutura). Ian Clark is the Canadian rep." Then Ian says "Bailey/Edwards ... retained the California Advanced Vehicles name and CAVGT.com" website. Then we learn that "Bailey-Edwards car is the car being marketed by CAV USA (California Advanced Vehicles), which has nothing to do with the CAV GT that Auto Futura/Carcraft SA is marketing in the USA/Canada." So it seems like the original CAV is now incarnated in Bailey-Edwards, while Autofutura is selling something else. Is this a correct picture of the fate of the original South African CAV concern and what cars are the various survivors marketing now? How do we end up with 2 separate fabricators in S. Africa? Whose cars are closest to the ones produced by the original CAV? And why did CAV go under in the first place?
OK, not such simple questions! Sorry to be dense. And thanks for any clarifications.

"

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi SDP,

CAV originally stood for Cape Advanced Vehicles. Now it is simply the Brand Name for the same car now manufactured by Autofutura a company that took over production after Cape Advanced Vehicles closed. So Cape Advanced Vehicles no longer exists as a manufacturer.

The Brand Name of CAV GT continues as does production, albeit at lower volume and at a greater price.

Anybody can register or get control of a domain name creating some potential for confusion, as we see here.

What Jean, John and I have attempted to explain is that the Bailey Edwards car has nothing to do with Autofutura or the CAV GT40 despite the ongoing use of the old CAV USA web domain by an ex-partner of the original CAV USA distributor.

It's unfortunate and perhaps opportunistic of the US distributor of this new entry in the market for an economical tube frame car to coat-tail on the good name CAV worked very hard(and continues) to develope.

So there you go, hope that helps. Please feel free to call or email if you have any other questions.

Cheers

Hi Rob.,

Just to let you know I do have in San Diego 8 CAV GTs, 4 of which are sold, all are in my showroom. I have another 2 in a container in Long Beach, 1 of which is sold. I will be pulling them out of the container this week if you, or anyone else, want to see the superb quality of the new AUTOFUTURA stainless steel, Monocoque cars. Another 2 unsold rollers are on the ocean inbound and another 6 are in production, 3 of which are sold. So 18 rollers in all. If you go to my web sight, www.vipclassics.com you can click onto approximately 50 pictures .You can call me at the showroom 619 232 6864 or my cell is 619 708 3180 anytime.

Thank you,

Roy Sayles

By the way I do have anther 120 classics for sale [email protected]

Back