Quiz - Answers

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
GT40Ss.com 2004 Christmas quiz. Answers
Well, I wasn't allowed into my garage last night so I eagerly opened the garage this morning and guess what ?
It was Italian, red, made not in Modena but in Bologna,
A Ducati 999R Neil Hodgson replica. Well, hope springs eternal and there's always next Christmas.......
Thank you very much to everybody who took time and trouble to submit questions and,equally important, the answers as well. My wife reached a dizzy height of 16 questions, all correctly answered and without help.
Here goes with the answers:

1.He is running on Methanol. Methanol burns with an invisible flame, and he does not want the Marshalls to think that he is simply a very bad Break-Dancer.....he would like them to put him out please !

2.Peter Collins - from the book ‘Mon Ami Mate’
3.Phil Hill – Ferrari
5.The Blue Book
6.Indy, Californian, and Ponoco 500’s
7.4 - Magny, Rheims, Ricard, Clermont,
8.Levers that could be dropped to the ground to dig into the road surface to stop a stalled car from rolling backwards down a hill.
9.You would be thrown from a window.
10.The MKIV Ford Zodiac.
11.Yes. Black and silver: New Zealand national sporting colours.The drivers were Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon, both Kiwis!
12.Italian. (Real name Bruno Giacomelli) and McLaren.
13.4 - Silverstone, Aintree, Donnington, Brands Hatch
14.Jacques Villeneuve
15.½rV²SCʟ (r= Air density, V= speed, S= wing area,Cʟ = lift coefficient)
16.1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
17.Alberto Ascari
18.Bremen
19.English Racing Automobiles
20.John
22.Zuffenhausen
23.Morgan Racer Bill Tuer from Liverpool in his VERY fast 1934 Morgan JAP. (Mallory 51.8 secs, ave 93.8 mph.
24.1 and by Gordon Jackson in 1961 on an AJS 350
25.Nitrous Oxide hidden in the roll cage
26.18,000rpm and 18 gears
27.Davina Gallica '76 British,'78 Argentine and Brazilian
28.Team Surtees were sponsored by Durex!!!!
29.Opera Singer
30.Anthony Guy Vandervell
31.Alex Issigonis
32.Sydney
33.NUB 120
34.Ferdinand Porsche
35.Ferdinand Porsche
36.Archie Scott-Brown
38.Aston-Martin DB3
39.Baby
40.Little Mouse
41.Michael Parkes
42.Argentinian
43.LG600
44.Das Kleine Wunder
45.South African
46.Denis Jenkinson
47.Morris Garages
48.Tatra
49.Brabham/Tauranac
50.Prince Bira
51.Whitney Straight
52.Len Bailey
53.He gained pole position (Lotus 49 at Watkins Glen 1968, and Ferrari 126 turbo, Monza 1982)
54.Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Mario Andretti, Jacques Villeneuve, Emerson Fittipaldi.
55.Mario Andretti (GH:Team lotus, F1, 1968 and NM: Newman-Haas, CART, 1993)
56.Renault (Toleman became Benetton in 1984 and Benetton became Renault in 2002)became a constructor in its own right.
57.Tyrrell (1983) and Alfa Romeo (1984)
58.Danny Sullivan (with Tyrrell 1983, won Indy 500 in 1985) and Eddie Cheever (with Alfa Romeo 1984, won Indy 500 1998)
59.a. Jack Brabham
b. Fangio
c. Nigel Mansell (by Italians when at Ferrari)
d. Denny Hulme
e. Tino Brambilla
f. Froilan Gonzales
60.Silverstone (13 May 1950)
61. Guiseppe Farina (in an Alfa Romeo)
62.Fangio
63.Duns in Berwickshire, location of the Jim Clark Room.
64.Potato growing
65.Nino Vaccarella
66.Circuito Madonie.
67.Syracuse and Enna
68.1962 French GP at Rouen, Dan Gurney
69.French GP. Reims (1966), Le Mans Bugatti (1967), Rouen (1968), Clermont Ferrand (1969 and 1970), Paul Ricard/ Le castellet (1971)
70.Albi
71.Pescara on the Adriatic coast of Italy. (Home of the 1957 Pescara GP won by Stirling Moss in a Vanwall). Circuit was 16.05 miles long (=25.8 km), 1.8 miles longer than the old Nurburgring.
72.All Ford.
73.Michele Alboreto and Stefan Johanssen at Ferrari in 1985 -1986 won Le Mans together (along with Tom Kristensen) in 1997 in a TWR Porsche.
74.Spa Francorchamps
75.Eifel. (The Eifel Tower in Paris, and the Eifel mountains around which the Nurburgring runs.)
76.The GA was in tribute and in memory of Giovanni Agnelli, the long-time chairman of Fiat (owners of Ferrari), who died in January 2003.
77.Giancarlo Baghetti. French GP at Reims in a Ferrari, 1961. Earlier in 1961 he had also won his first two F1 races at Posillipo and Syracuse, which were both non-champioship events. He therefore had a hat-trick of F1 Ferrari wins in 1961, but had no further F1 success.
78.1976 Tyrrell-Ford driven by Jody Scheckter which had six wheels, and 1978 Brabham-Alfa driven by Niki Lauda which was a “sucker” fan car. On both occasions, it was the only win in F1 for this type of car (although the Chaparral 2J fan car had some success in Can-Am sports car racing)
79.The circuit was Monza. James Garner played Pete Aron and Yves Montand played Jean-Pierre Sarti, the driver who, in the film, died in an accident on the banking at Monza.
80.Len Terry. He went on to design the Eagle formula one cars for Dan Gurney (in which he competed in F1 between 1966 and 1968.)
81.Brabham and McLaren.
82.Michael Schumacher (debut 1991, winner 1992)
83.One. The Swiss GP at Dijon
84.Both cars failed to qualify
85.True. He competed in his own, privately entered Cooper-Maserati
86.JS was in memory of Guy Ligier’s friend Jo Schlesser who died at the wheel of a Honda F1 car at the 1968 French GP at Rouen.
87.1994. Lotus (13 GPs), Ligier (1 GP) and Benetton (2 GPs).
88.No. He competed for Benetton in 5 GPs in 1989
89.False. The Indy 500 counted towards the world championship between 1950 and 1960..
90.Mike Hawthorn, driving for Ferrari in 1958
91.Fuji (in 1976)
92.Honda.
93. i Imola
ii Silverstone
iii Suzuka
iv Monaco
v. Monza
94.Al Unser Sr
96.Dragon Motorsport
97.Pierre Dupasqier
98.Minardi and Gianmaria Bruni
99.Pierre Kaffer and Alan McNish.
100.Stirling Moss discussing the consequences of erectile dysfunction post crash.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks guys.
The Ducati is now on the shelf in my study.

Thanks for a great quiz!

[ QUOTE ]
50.Who owned the ERA racing cars Romulus and Remus?
50.Prince Bira

[/ QUOTE ]

Prince Bira was the driver, the team owner was his cousin Prince Chula.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thank you Ben
How did you get on ?
There may be one or two corrections - much appreciateed
about Bira. His real (full)name? You would need a much longer car if they had written their names on the side in those days.....
The quiz was only a bit of light relief.
Dave M

Dave
My uncle was Prince Bira's Mechanic, I have spent many hours listning to his fanscinating racing exploits.
I remember as a child going to his garage "White Mouse" at the Arches in Chiswick West London.
My mother always received a Christmas card from Chula with a picture of his Country home in Cornwall.
Bira had a pet bear which he kept at the Garage in Chiswick, that the lads used to tease, the bear took his revenage one night by emptying cans of paint all over workshop and race cars.
So many stories to be told, my uncle is now in his late eighties and when he leaves this Planet these tales will be gone forever.
Happy Days.
Ian

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,
How brilliant is that !
On a day of such incredible and total carnage in the Indian Ocean, your posting has given some pleasure.
Dave M

[ QUOTE ]
My uncle was Prince Bira's Mechanic, I have spent many hours listning to his fascinating racing exploits.
[...]
So many stories to be told, my uncle is now in his late eighties and when he leaves this Planet these tales will be gone forever.

[/ QUOTE ]
That will be a shame.

[ QUOTE ]
My mother always received a Christmas card from Chula with a picture of his Country home in Cornwall.

[/ QUOTE ]

His home is now a nice hotel. When they first opened the hotel, I don't they didn't quite appreciated the importance of Bira and Chula's automotive history. But now they mention it quite a bit on their website.
http://www.tredethyhouse.co.uk/ccch-photos.htm

Great quiz David. Really got the grey matter working.Some really tough questions. My hat's off to those who came up with them. Surprised myself with my score of 61.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Take a bow guys - Andre, Barry, Dave, Fran, Mike (Cotes) and Hywel Absalem.
Nice one Graham. Much snow up there ? Looks as though Aberdeen is possibly in for some more tonight before the rain set in.

I'm 17 miles inland from Aberdeen. We got about 2 inches of the white stuff on Xmas morning which made everything nice and festive but it's melting fast - inversely proportional to my waistline after the usual overdose of food & drink !

Really enjoyed the quiz Dave.
Sure beats watching the haunted fishtank.
Good score Graham, you win the Anorak....same score as me when I take off the ones I wrote (Which I somehow managed to get right despite the Xmas booze!)

Yes terrible news about the Tsunami, but good news for us as my daughter and her husband who are backpacking for 8 months left Phuket for Aus four days before the disaster....it was sure good to hear her voice on Xmas morning phoning from Sydney, and it puts things right in proportion.

Happy New Year everyone.

BD

PS. Here is a pic of the start at the VSCC Cadwell June meeting this year.
Bill Tuer, (Question 23, Man with over 320 race wins in the same car) is lying 3rd in the grey coloured number, my daughter Penny and I with red helmets are on the left.

Attachments

• 49404-Cadwellstarteable.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 235

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Barry,
Thank you for the questions you sent. Same again next Christmas? Maybe in two parts - (i) European and (ii) The Rest?
I love Cadwell. I dropped a Titan Read Honda there in '64 and knocked myself stupid - still suffering, I hear some mutterings here.....
Ain't phoning home the nicest thing on Christmas day ? We have friends staying on the island called Phi phi who just sent a text about 2 hours back. Relief here but I still feel utterly helpless as this whole thing starts to unravel more. I haven't heard any thing yet about Deigo Garcia in the archipelago south of the Maldives which is about 10 ft a.m.s.l. - Big airfield there with lots of guys on the base.
Again - probably no warning.

regards
Dave

Back