Boeing Windscreen Wipers

Over the years I have always been intrigued about mentions of the fact that the GT40s ran Boeing windscreen wipers.
I've just been given the SAE Papers for Christmas, and the full story is explained in great detail.
It appears that the components were based on units fitted to the 707.
On the aircraft, the wipers operated at 28 volts, giving a wiper speed of 240 wipes per minute (4 per second!!).
When operating at 12 volts on the MkII, this reduced the speed to 105-115 wipes per minute.
Other mods were made to the wipe angle and to the blade and arm.
One of my abiding memories of Le Mans was seeing the GT40s travelling down the Mulsanne straight in the rain with the wipers running at full chat. It seemed to increase the sensation of speed even further.
I seem to remember the great Dennis Jenkinson describing the GT40s as "Gobbling down the Mulsanne straight". Very descriptive.
For anybody interested in the technical side of the GT40, the SAE papers are excellent. The book covers the Ford GT in great detail (108 pages) and the the GT40 in 131 pages.The illustrations in the GT40 section look to be photocopied photographs, but the text more than makes up for this.
Hope everybody had a good Christmas and here's looking to a Happy New Year (And a GT40!)
Geoff.

Hi Jim,
Sorry I haven't replied earlier, but I have been edged off the internet by my computer mad children.
The book title is "The Ford GT - New Vehicle Engineering and Technical History of the GT-40".
Use ISBN 0-7680-1421-2 for ordering.
The interesting thing about the book is the use, in the GT40 section, of the word 'we'. The information is not clouded by history, it was written by those actually working on the cars at the time.
The GT40 section is split into:
Development of the Ford GT - Covering Engine, Body, Transaxle, Fuel Systems, Suspension, Sttering and Brakes by Roy Lunn.(24 pages)
Modified 427 Engine as used in the MkII.(20 pages)
Air Induction System for 427 Engine.(16 pages)
Ignition and Electrical System for the MkII.(10 pages)
Development of Transaxle for the MkII.(18 pages)
Disc Brake System for the MkII.(32 pages)
Laboratory Simulation of the Powertrain for the MkII.(11 pages)
It is an excellent book and really gives the story as it happens.
Buy it.
A Happy New Year to everybody.
Geoff.

Back