ZF Transaxle on Ebay...

He has a few of the boxes for sale, they are all 5DS 25-2 from the Pantera. All unused and in their original packaging and have been stored in good conditions.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
My guess, would be that it is Randy Berry of Marauder. He is out of Potomac, Illinois, and has a partener ( Eldon Rassmusen if memory serves me correctly) in Indianapolis, Indiana. I was there last summer, and he had either 10 or 12 of them, new in boxes then. I was there, in 1980 also, and he had about the same amount then also. I have been told, by various sources, that if these "new" gearboxes are not properly stored, the portion of the gears that are out of the oil frequently rust. Just something to think about when considering buying a new, 30 year old gearbox.
Regards Brian

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I sold several of these in 1983 when Ford closed out all of the parts inventory for the Pantera. We many sold and shipped out of my Ford dealership to people local and all over.....get ready to cry.......out the door they went for $600.00 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

And yes, I do know a local guy who still has two in his basement, and no he NEVER sells any of his parts (you wouldn't beleive what he has on hand!)so don't bother asking. That he sold off his last Pantera over ten years ago does not matter...
Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
A better deal would be a ZF5DS25-2 from MAP in Florida..same price or near and you wouldn't have to flip it over..plus you get the later version with the updates and doesn't have the progressive shift drum inside. Still need the top plate and lockwiring though.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
My understanding, from what Butfoy said, was that the original Gt 'mule' was built with the ZF.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The original reports I read was that they kept breaking the input shafts on the RBT, so eventually they went with the Ricardo.
Regards Brian

Back