Not that this post belongs around here, but while waiting on my MDA to arrive, I've pondered the thought of a Porshce 906 build. Does anyone make a 906 kit in either stripped down kit form or rolling chasis. From the front it looks a little like a MK IV GT40.

Appreciate the assistance.

Jim

Jim,

I remember seeing a 906 replica for sale on the Mecanic Import website(Belgium) a couple of years ago. I'm not sure about accuracy, but it looked pretty close at a glance(I'm no expert on 906s though). I have no idea of who the manufacturer might have been, but perhaps Mecanic Import could steer you in the right direction?
www.mecanicimport.com
I just looked at their site, and the 906 replica is still listed at 85K Euros.

Bill

Chris Melia's putting together a fantastic looking 908 replica built from the original moulds - different from the 906 I appreciate, but a great pairing when you take into account the GT40/908 dice at Le Mans.

Rob

Rob, long time no hear.

Would that be the original long-tail version or the short-tail spyder Porsche 908...?

Jim,
Bill is correct.I know the 906 based at mecanicimport.
It is a replica that was built (I do not know where/who)by the owner of an orginal one that he used for circuit racing without taking the risk of damaging his original.
That is at least what I was told about the car.
If you want more info on the car and its origin, I suggest you ctc Mr de Biolley,owner of Mecanicimport
Rgds
Fred

I recall an article on a scratch-built Porsche 906 in "Excellence" magazine, I'll dig around the archives
and post info later.

Much prefer the 906 versus the 908, I think it's more "streetable..."

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jim,

A nigh-on perfect 906 is available here in England produced to special order only by my colleagues Mike Walker and Barry Martin of Martin And Walker. If you are serious please Email me privately and i can link you to them and scan some of the wonderful pictures and articles written about this most incredible car, a truly accurate replica.

Regards,

Graham @ GTA Racing.

[ QUOTE ]
I recall an article on a scratch-built Porsche 906 in "Excellence" magazine, I'll dig around the archives
and post info later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, it was a Porsche 910..., Feb. 2004 issue of "Excellence". He started with an original factory frame blueprint and went on to build his own buck and molds using both the blueprint and a 1/12 scale Tamiya kit, very inspiring article, actually.

Rick

Thanks for the input guys. I don't know how serious I am, my mind had begun wondering lately about a bunch of "what if's" and it seemed kind of neat to think about finding an old 6 cylinder 911 engine and tranny to drop into a 906 kit. I figure the car would be really light and possibly be made to handle very well.

Jim

Howard Jones

Supporter
A guy nearby has reconstructed a 908 and uses a 911 powertrain. Cost has been a couple 100 thousand. I think they are forming a company to build them.

This car is a exact copy of the orginal car. He even used orginal construction processes like hand carved oak bucks and sand formed tubing bends. The body work is the same as the real cars and is thin enough to deform with a press of the finger.

You are correct about the weight, I believe he said the car came in at just under 1000 pounds. Here in lies the problem. If you EVER hit anything just a little hard head on it would kill you for sure. Really. The largest tubing on the car is about 1 inch od. No real rollover protection to speak of and plexi windscreen. None of this makes a good street car. IMHO a complete redesign of the space frame would be required to make a SAFE car. Plan on adding about a 1000 pounds to the car. Thicker bodywork, 2 in square tubing spaceframe. glass front windscreen. All in all a reshaped GTD more or less.

I am sure it could be done but it would cost no less than a startup of production of any other homebuild reproduction sports car.

Maybe a guy could start with a GTD, KVA, etc frame and make his own bodywork. Overall size/look would be close I think, My GT40 is a little bigger than the 908 I am taking about. No real room for two inside. The other seat is really a 70% scale seat with very little leg room for me. I'm 5'2". I would not consider a ride for more than 10-15 min doable. No way at speed, just not enough leg/foot room for 4 feet.

A redesigned (safer) project like this could be a pretty cool track car but my personal view is many old race cars just are not safe to be on the track with bigger heavy cars.

If you got hit by a hot shoe mustang driver he would just flatten you in a real 908. You would never walk away and you would be lucky not to burn to death. No real chance at all.

Vintage Motors of Sarasota has one of the Martin and Walker 904's. It is beautiful. Here's the link.

http://www.vintagemotorssarasota.com/Car_pages/Porsche/64porsche/64porsche.htm

They will not budge on price. I was turned away at a reasonable offer. I think they really like having it.

There are a pair for sale in Germany that were built by an ex factory mechanic. one complete for about $80k and the other without engine for around $60k. They disappeared from my links about 4 months ago but I could find the contact info if you really want. He was making no more.

For me it's the Carrera 6 like this one I saw at a rally in France. It makes me have crazy thoughts.

Attachments

• 49884-IMGP6081smaller.jpg
    49884-IMGP6081smaller.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,006
[ QUOTE ]
For me it's the Carrera 6 like this one I saw at a rally in France. It makes me have crazy thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

Attachments

• 49886-906_ex.jpg
    49886-906_ex.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 795

Pat

Supporter
Howard, another thought would be to shop for a used formula car or sports racer and use that for the basis of a 906 rebody (if you can get whoever is fabricating a body to sell one).
I've seen the sports racers clout walls and stay pretty intact. You are absolutely correct about the risks of a "true replica". They are a death wish if you were to put one on the road.

Hi

On behalf of Chris Melia, who is suffering computer gremlins uploading images at the moment, here are some bodywork images of his cool-looking Porsche 908 project.

dec 2004 porsche clocks 182.jpg

dec 2004 porsche clocks 183.jpg

dec 2004 porsche clocks 184.jpg

dec 2004 porsche clocks 186.jpg

dec 2004 porsche clocks 187.jpg

Anyone interested in the packages available, drivetrain, suspension, etc should email Chris at [email protected]

Cheers!

Rob

hi Rob

Thanks for posting the pics, I have not yet decided to go into full production, I intend to build two or three cars for evaluation first.

I think this car was Porsches answer to the GT40 and it was a fantastic "race to the line" in 1969 and in my book the best GT race ever.
I will fit a 3 litre 911 engine and gear box use the 911 brake callipers discs and steering components.

Regards

Chris.

In addition to Rob's posting, here are some more pics from Chris on his 908:

Attachments

• 50059-DSC00002.JPG
    50059-DSC00002.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,218
Back