Pedal dimensions and attachment?

OK, have almost gotten the pedal arms installed and at about the correct position for me as a driver.

Thought I'd mill the pedals themselves out of scrap 7075 pieces laying around.

1) What sort of dimensions are you guys using for the pedals?

2) How are your pedals attached to the arms or any plates on the end of the arms?

3) About how far apart are they? and

4) Anyone make arrangements to allow adjustment of the position of the pedals relative to the driver?

Thanks!

Howard Jones

Supporter
I hope you can see this. Mine are as half round hoop welded onto the orginal peddle that was a simple 1/8" thick, about 2" X 2 1/2" curved plate welded onto the end of the peddle arm. I trimmed the widths to about a 1 1/2". This gained a little clearance, without bending them and is plenty wide for me.

The material you see on the face of the pad is a antislip stick on material that you can get a home store. I comes by the foot. Very cheep.

My peddles are close together but then I have size 7 feet. You will have to play with this a little when you get the car on the road.

Attachments

• 50106-1-16-03-3aa.jpg
    50106-1-16-03-3aa.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 340
Howars,

Looks from the width of the pedals that there is about 2" between them. That about right?

I was thinking about making mine out of 7075 with 1/4" slots at 45 degrees ... and using the tape on the high part. (I've used the tape before on the grips of race pistols, so I already have some.)

Thanks!

Howard Jones

Supporter
How you place them in relation to each other is going to be decided by your feet AND the shoes you drive the car in. Thats about right 2 5/8" between gas and the brake and maybe a little less between the clutch and the brake. All three are lined up as far as fore and aft goes. I spent about a month doing my placement of the peddle box, mods to the peddles, its related spacing of the peddles themselfs and the seat location. I bolted my seat to the floor, no
adjustment.

I like my peddles flat but non slip. Anything that grabs the lugs on shoes is bad for me. I usually drive the car with race shoes because of this. Getting your feet tangeled up in the peddles can really be a bad thing. It is easy to do because of the small foot box.

This is really a personal fit thing. My car is the first car that really fit me in my life. These cars are very small inside so if things don't fit you just about perfect then it can really ruin the driving experiance. Take your time and get just perfect for you.

Mike,
I have VERY large feet, and my car was undriveable until the standard GTD pedal box had received major surgery, because I couldn't differentiate between the pedals. I can't think of an occasion when I would ever need to depress all 3 pedals fully, but that was all I could do.
We started off with a set of Tilton pedals - and cut them off just below the pivots. Straight ¾" square tube was then welded to the stubs at the right angle to give best floor clearance. This took a lot of fitting, cutting and welding. The original Tilton pedals were then welded back onto the ends.
I have also fitted a dead pedal clutch footrest, which is very comfortable, even if the passenger tends to whine about lack of footroom.
One point which I do have to be careful about, and that is to ensure that I'm not changing gear on the brake pedal. The large offset of the pedals in the wheel well tends to cause this, and a racing change carried out this way will easily lock all 4 wheels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Attachments

• 50132-Pedals.jpg
    50132-Pedals.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 306

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Speaking from experience... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ...be sure to put your seat and wheel in place before you commit to permanent installation. Sit in the car, make engine noises (optional) and find what works best for you. I used the Tilton setup and had to narrow it to fit properly.

Guys,

Agree on the fitting. Am literally doing the sit in seat and make hopeful noises thing ;>) I fear that my wife would just crack up if she watched the process!

I did dawn on me that some basic beginning dimensions would help a lot. So I asked.

Thanks!

Back