Push button battery master cut out switch

I have fitted a manual master battery cut out switch (FIA approved with removeable key) inside the car but I would like to fit 1 on the outside, just behind the drivers door. I'm leaning toward the push button type as these are unobtrusive. Can anyone reccomend a supplier/type?

Hi Paul -

Just fitted a similar setup to another GTD. Sourced an Armtech unit from Rally Design - Purchased online at 4pm it arrived next day!. Least cost source too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers Paul, glad I asked as I had intended buying from Demon Tweeks who are £66 dearer!
Anything important I should know about when wiring the unit ?

No - quite straight forward really but make sure you have a decent cable from alternator to unit and unit to battery for charging currents.

Also - IF you have any alarm or 'door locking' type circuits, remember that the unit works by breaking the earth side of the battery. Therefore, these circuits would require a bypass to maintain power when battery is isolated. Especially important for door locks, otherwise you may be in danger of locking yourself out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

One last thing - don't leave the unit energised all the time as it draws an amp or so and will flatten a battery over a weekend.

Almost forgot - if you do add a separate earth connection for a circuit that requires 'permanent power', make sure the item is isolated from chassis earth. If you don't, you may inadvertantly create another path to earth for the engine which is likely to get 'fried' should an attempt be made to start engine with the armtech unit 'isolated'.

Finally - for competition work, the unit should genuinely isolate the battery from ALL circuits to be able to pass scrutineering.

Hope that made sense - did to me but looks odd when read. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Don't yours have to be on the positive side of the battery? I think ours are required that way via SCCA rules on the race cars here, at least, that is what I interpreted in the rule book and did on my own car. Sort of a pain in the ass since one can't just simply put a switch in place of the chassis/battery ground.

Hi Ron

As I have not looked at the MSA BLUE BOOK recently - I'n not too sure what they specify in there, But we do have to clearly identify the earth lead from the battery with some yellow tape. I assume its so that in the event of an accident, the safety marshalls can cut the earth lead to isolate all power.

Malc will probably have a blue book to hand to be a bit more specific.

Back