Audi OI6 question

Charlie M

Supporter
I went to a salvage yard today to pick up an Audi OI6 gearbox (ratio code AFC) and it appeared to come out of a Quattro (had the rear driveshaft). Is this typical of the AFC boxes or do all of the OI6 units come in both a two wheel and all wheel drive configuration?

I asked for the AFC box for the 3.89 diff ratio and 0.73 5th gear but if it only comes in an all wheel drive configuration I'll look for something else (the same yard can get me a 5N or AAZ).

Thanks,
Charlie

Get the 5N. I know Robert Logan of RF is working on a ring and pinion swap that will make the 5N a rather fine transaxle. Don't know when he will have them available, you might want to check with him on the status. You could also use the search to find the thread on it.
By the why, what's the going rate on a 5N in Mass.
Jim Downard

Charlie M

Supporter
I saw the thread on the RF ring and pinion. Because of the low production quantity they'll be a little pricey ($1800+ I think). There's some debate whether a 944 ring and pinion will fit. My plan is to disassemble the OI6, measure all the relevant features on the ring and pinion, post the results, and ask someone with a 944 R&P to do the same. That should prove if the swap is possible or not.

The only salvage yard in my area that could get the transaxle for me wants $450 for the AFC, $600 for a 5N, and $525 for an AAZ. If they can't get me a 2 wheel drive AFC, I'll get the 5N. I don't want the AAZ with the .86 5th gear. They seem a little expensive but that's all I've found so far.

Charlie

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Charlie,
That seems a little expensive. I bought a 5N here in Alabama
with only 36,000 miles on it for $150. It had been on the shelf for eight years at the wrecking yard.
If you do a search on car-parts.com you will find several.
Keith

Those prices are high unless the trannys have very low mileage. $ 150-250 is the norm in PA.

German Transaxle is attempting to install a 944 ring/pinion in an 016 for me. Should know cost in a few weeks.
This is not cheap...nor a job for the backyard mechanic.

Depending on your budget, start with the 5N and run it as is, or even better buy the AFC/AAZ and swap out 5th gear
for RFs new .64 5th gear ($ 500)...which a backyard
mechanic can do.

MikeD

MikeD
for me

Charlie M

Supporter
Keith,

Thanks for the tip on car-parts.com. I found several OI6 transaxles in MA for $200 and up.

Mike, I'm very interested to hear how German Transaxle does with the 944 r&p installation and what it took to do it. I've set up a few r&p sets and have access to the machine shop at work. If the modifications are not too extensive I would like to attempt it. BTW, what's the going price for a 944 r&p set?

Thanks,
Charlie

I have a 944 booked in later this week for a gearbox rebuild,give me a shout if you need any dimensions

dave b

Charlie M

Supporter
Dave,

I won't have a gearbox until this weekend at least. If you are going to have that gearbox for a week or more, this may work out well.

Thanks,
Charlie

I too would be interested to knowing if the 944 R&P will fit in the 016. My research has indicated that the 944 Turbo R&P would be the most desirable. One important question would be what needs to be done with the gears on the pinion shaft. Can the 944 gears be used or would they have to be removed and the Audi gears installed or would that be possible?

New 944 R&P are expensive....currently $ 1100 from Porsche.
Used R&P are hard to come by, and of course have to be
carefully inspected for damage.

GTA mentioned that the 944 differential uses different bearings, so if you bought an entire 944 tranny, you'd
have to switch the ring gear over to the Audi differential.
They also mentioned something about two different types
of 4th gear retention method possibly being an issue....
but I forgot the specifics. I'll ask again.

MikeD

ANY new Porsche part is going to be expensive. $1100 R&P + $150 transaxle = $1250 + installation; that's still not terrible, and you get decent ratio's.

Though I have no personal experience in this regard, I understand that the 944 Turbo racers swap out their stock 3.375:1 R&P in favor of the non-turbo 3.875 or 3.889 for track use. Maybe a check with the 944 Turbo Porsche racer crowd might uncover a source of R&P's. Just a thought.

Andy

PAP (Porsche Audi Parts) in Georgia priced a 944 ring and pinion to me for $500 + shipping. Don't have there phone number, but if you do a Yahoo search on them it will come up. May be worth a look. I dumped the option when I heard that the Turbo R&P wouldn't interchange with the 016.
Jim Downard

Oh yea, the reason, I'm told, that they won't interchange is that the bearing cage for the turgo R&P is larger than in the 016. Hence, you'd have to maching the case for the larger bearings. Now, if the cases are essentially the same, this should be possible, but again I lost interest in that much work.
Jim

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yea, the reason, I'm told, that they won't interchange is that the bearing cage for the turgo R&P is larger than in the 016. Hence, you'd have to maching the case for the larger bearings. Now, if the cases are essentially the same, this should be possible, but again I lost interest in that much work.
Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim,

I got an update from German Transaxle of America with regard to the Turbo R&P fit up. Seems it is only the pinion bearing that is larger, necessitating a single bore increase in the 016 case. It's the only modification required. The pinion bearing is larger simply to allow the larger pinion gear head of the Turbo to fit through the 016 case. Apparently, the rest of the fit up is good-to-go. I suppose one with the requisite machining skills and equipment could do the mod, but then you'd still have to properly set up the differential, which is best left to a professional, IMO.

Andy

Charlie M

Supporter
Thanks for the info everyone. I found a non-Quattro AFC box. If the R&P swap won't work, at least I'll have the 3.89 ratio rather than the 4.11. I may be able to do the pinion bearing bore mod on the case, I'll have to wait until I get the box apart to see what's involved.

Also, I'm going to need a repair manual to rebuild the trans. I saw a Haynes manual available online. Does this manual have a detailed section on the trans or should I look for something else?

Thanks,
Charlie

I have a couple .pdf files for the Porsche 944 that detail 016 inspection and overhaul procedures for both the 944 and the 944 Turbo. It's a zipped 209 MB file, so it's too big to email, but if there's interest I can upload it to my web site and keep it there for a couple days so you all can download it.

Charlie M

Supporter
I'm interested Mark. Thanks! What's your web site address?

BTW, thanks again for letting me look at your car. Are you getting much done on it this winter?

Charlie

Back