P4 in OZ

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
A P4 was raced in Oz in the 60's. For the P4 historians
What chassis number,who drove it, was it an open or closed car, what year and what unique feature did this car have that no other P4 had (to the best of my knowledge)
If anyone knows the whereabouts of this car now, it is probable that photos of it racing in OZ would be available.

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
An amazing coincidence, I was looking for something and came across 67 bathurst programme in which this car competed and saw the other P4 post and hence my post. If you look carefully at the photos in the link provided you will see the "unique feature" to which I refer.

If the current owner contacts the editor (Wes Dayton) at [email protected] and enquires about the Lance Ruting Photo collection he may be able to obtain some photos.

Re: P4 in OZ - a sad ending

A sad note to add to this thread. David MacKay was a friend of my father. David lost the battle with cancer and passed away 26th december 2004. He kept his sense of humour to the end....... he was planning the inevitible funeral, and he wanted to be dressed in his race suit, but jokingly suggested the cremation might not work so well in a double-layer "fireproof" suit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Re: P4 in OZ - Question unanswered

No body has come up with the "unique feature" fitted to the P4 when in OZ

Re: P4 in OZ - Question unanswered

I don't know about the unique feature but the pictures from Longford bring a tear to my eye.
A great local (Tasmanian) track/event that is gradually disappearing from history.
Not many events in Tasmania have brought multiple world champions and truly world class machinery... apart from wood chopping of course.

Tim.

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Re: P4 in OZ - Unique Feature

If you look closely at the photos on the website posted earlier you can see the top of the spare wheel that had to be fitted to race in australia

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Re: P4 in OZ - Unique Feature

I stand corrected, My info from David Mackay when he brought the car to australia was that closed cars had spare but not open cars. Car arrived in Oz with no spare and was rejected at scrutineering, there was then a great panic to fit spare verically at rear of car. The car never realized its full potential whilst in Oz. Amon was not familiar enough with local tracks and not enough time was available to properly sort the car. It was very quick in a straight line, I have vivid memories of it blasting past me like I was stopped and I was doing 130mph. David Mackay was always a bit secretive about the cars ownership. The rumour is that the car was 'on loan' from Ferrari.
Cheers

Back