'Atta Boy to McMaster-Carr

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
\'Atta Boy to McMaster-Carr

I have to say one thing about McMaster-Carr: they are super fast! This past Sunday evening, I ordered some 5/32" closed end/blind rivets, like those Brett was asking about, and some new viscoelastic sound dampner that they are now carrying. I picked ground delivery being the cheapie I am. Tuesday afternoon, before 3:00PM, up rolls the FedEx truck with my stuff. That is excellent service!!

As with any vendor, you can sometimes find a lower price (but not much) on select items, but overall, I've found that they have as good a pricing as you will find. And there is no one that I have dealt with that comes close to their delivery track record. They have made web shopping and ordering as easy a proposition as I have ever run into, as well.

My $0.02 worth.

Lynn

Re: \'Atta Boy to McMaster-Carr

I have always had excellent experiences with McMaster Carr. Awesome selection - you could probably build a spaceship entirely out of McMaster Carr parts. Great web site - efficient and easy to find and order what you need. Reasonable prices. Flawless execution and packing. Fast shipping.

Ron Earp

Admin

One of my favorite places. I've basically quit going out and buying things I need locally.

I always find something like "I need a 1/4" 1" rivet" and then spend 2 fruitless hours looking for it in local stores. About 2 years ago I said no more and just simply order it and use those 2 hours working on something else. Since then my life has been much easier.

R

I have made many many orders from them (up until 7pm) and recieved the items the next day with "ground" shipping every time but one.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

They are also nice on the phone...plus they generally have everything in stock. A lot of the SS tubing etc that I will need to finish my GT40 will come from them, I'm certain. And probably a lot of other stuff besides.

here's one for you. I order from them online and sometimes get it the same day. Their distribution site is about 15 miles from me and they courier it over. Cost for delivery - $4.

Love their web site and their service.

Mike

Hear Hear to McMaster-Carr. I think I'm going to adopt Ron's rule as I could use a spare 2 hours here and there. I still go to them only when I can't find locally. Dumb on my part as I'm never in a critical need phase.

Chuck

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

Chuck,

I like to buy locally when I can and when I am not getting horribly raped by doing so. But I also like to use locally owned stores as well. If we don't patronize them somewhat, then the merchandise available locally will only be what some computer program says will sell at the big chain stores because the locally owned hardware store will have folded. ACE hardware used to have a pretty good supply of items (expensive, but available), but the last time I went into the local ACE the guy told me that the local owner/operator can now only order most of their stuff from the standard ACE inventory which has the same limitations I ran into at Home Depot (Lowe's has the same situation as well.) He says that ACE has dropped some of their specialty wholesalers who carry more complete lines.

For instance, I set up a cable pull for my inside door handle the other day, so I went to Home Depot to get the hardware. They had 1/16" cable, but they had NONE of the hardware to go with it. What good is cable with thimbles, clamps or ferrels?? No human setting up inventory would do this.

It may soon be that ordering online will be the only way we can get some of the odd items we'd like to use in our cars, that is if the online vendors don't go the way of the big chain stores :-(

Lynn

That must be your local Ace hardware stores decision,as I own a small Ace Hardware store and I can buy where ever I want to.

Wheels, I will buy from you for the hard to find parts if you can supply, Kevin in CT.

Kevin, It depends on what you want,I also have a 1952 Ford pick-up I'm Detailing and sometimes I have to buy weird repro bolts and such from the old Ford pick-up vendors out there.But if you want ,send me what you want and I'll see what I can get for you.Thanks.

I was stumped on how to replace the failed motor mounts on my Mangusta. Then I found nitrile rubber industrial isolator pads of the perfect size and durometer from McMaster-Carr. I rebuilt the mounts and they are working great. All for under $25.

Back