Race cars! At least for us grassroots types! ;-)

Ron Earp

Admin
As some of you know I've formed a venture with some other fellows for building and renting race cars, in particular spec Miatas and Improved Touring cars. We've got a few under construction including two spec Miatas for customers due to be delivered in April.

I thought I'd put a couple of pics of the two that are in may garage that I am fixing up, the Jensen Healey and an old 260Z that I'm redoing.

mini-prepsmall.jpg

mini-zcar.JPG
mini-ron1strace.JPG

I just recently got finished with my SCCA race school for my regional licence and it went very well. I got lucky and won both of the school races with the 39 spec Miata that I'm in there and had a fantastic time. My first real race is in about three weeks and I'll be using the Z car for that, it should be a fantastic time.

So, now you know where some of my time has gone and why the 40 didn't get finished, but I think it was for a good cause. Hope to see some of you guys out on the track as well, this competitive head to head racing is really adicting!

Ron

Re: Race cars!

Ron - congratulations - and well done on a choosing the Z car. I've had more fun with Zs than anything else, including Jensen-Healeys. I'm sure there are a number of places to go for Z car parts and advice near you, but you may be interested in Les Cannaday at Classic Datsun Motorsports. Les built a Z and a 2000 Roadster for Bob Bondurant. Les can even sell you a carbon fiber hood, although I doubt SCCA rules allow that.

The last Z I had (2003) was a 260Z Roadster:

260ZFront.jpg

I've still got a couple of Datsun 2000 roadsters- almost as much fun as the Z. Check out the chassis stiffness on this track day shot - the front wheel is off the ground.

PCSpeed2.jpg

Cheers and good luck

Rob

Ron Earp

Admin

Rob, thanks much and nice pictures, I like it! Really nice 260!

I think the Jensen will be more fun though - 400 lbs lighter and with the four valve head I think it'll make more power, but not as much torque.

Know anything about getting the 260z carbs to run worth a damn? 206Z cars in the US were one year only and nobody likes them. But, we have to run them, unfortunately. The 260z motor I ahve dynoed at 238 hp (crank) but the carbs really started to over fuel at high RPM and it seems hard to fix it.

R

Hi Ron

Try www.ztherapy.com for your carb troubles. Those Hitachi flat-top carbs were awful, especially after Hitachi got it so right for the 240Z.

In the UK for some reason, despite the bad press, Nissan stayed with the flat-tops until 1978 when the 280ZX came in. We never got the 280Z. I changed various 260Zs to triple Webers - it's a shame they weren't an option back then...

Otherwise, swap your 260Z for a 240Z... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Good luck.

Rob

Back