R1 Mallala wrap up & results

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
There were 37 sports cars entered for this round and with this many cars on such a small track things were bound to get interesting.I decided to take advantage of friday practice as it's been a year since we were there last.It soon became apparent I had a major oversteer problem and it was not till after qualifying on sat morning I realized a rear tyre was worn out.Lucky thing I'm running Dunlop slicks the same size as another competitor and he gave me a half worn tyre.So consequently I qualified in 24th place.The car bogged down off the line in the first race and those pesky clubmans got past.The power of the GT40 redressed that situation and I finished a few spots further forward with a much better handling car.The next race was much the same but a sneaky clubman pipped me on the line and blew up in spectacular fashion.The next race was after sunset in the dark and I'm not very comfortable with this.Mainly because the low visability and low seating position in the 40 make it hard to see the edges of the track.A silver porsche (911)got past me and I finished behind him.The brakes had taken a hiding and the pedal dropped a nervous amount and I surmised caused by rear caliper heat boiling the fluid.I thought about this situation over night and I decided to cut my plastic screen clearing duct to use as temporary brake ducts for the last race on sunday morning.
I got away to a good start and the scintered Iron clutch allowed a 4000 rev clutch launch and no bogging at last!checked the brakes all ok, in front the silver porsche battling a white one.The white one was blocking the silver one whos' driving style I reckon would fry his rear tyres, so I held back for the inevitable spin and up another place.I held position behind the white one until a small off track excursion let a GT3 past(darn it).Brakes felt a bit squidgy and so I increased the braking distance for the last 3 laps and home in 11th place, a bit lower than my usual place but the competition was fierce.Things to come out of the weekend- Brake ducts required,gearshift excellent,clutch much better,handling and turn in much better.At last a car I can drive.I consider my problems minor and partly my fault(the tyres).Next round Sandown in April stay posted.
Ross

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
I know what you mean about the tyres-- they seem good for 3-4 meetings after that the seconds start adding up.
Night racing, the ultimate frighteners /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif-spot lights and point 'em wide.
Good to see you made it thru the weekend--that TR8 must be a weapon and Georges Cobra seemed a bit off pace--the Ferraris were having a go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ross,

how does the GT40 fare against the GT3's ?
for comparison, which would you say is better on the brakes, more balanced in the corners, etc ?

Which brakes are you running ?

Cheers,
John.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
John,
The only problem with comparisons between the cars is that the driver plays a significant part in how the car will perform. As I've described above the Porsche driver that was oversteering in most corners was injuring his tyres and would have cornered a lot quicker with some self control.The GT3 with a competent driver is a very good package ie massive brakes,excellent handling and plenty of grunt.I am currently about 4 secs a lap off their times and this I consider to be my lack of power.My cars handling is now very good and has taken a year and a half to acheive since there was no initial setup data.It does seem strange but that 4 sec differential exists on short tight tracks and the fast flowing ones.My brakes are not up to the GT3 level, I have 6 spot AP calipers (front) and 4 spot AP's at the rear.I need to fit cooling ducts and replace rotors with the biggest and lightest rotors that will fit inside the wheels.I reckon the GT40 is much better balanced as the mid engine and 50/50 weight distribution gives me great confidence in corners, whereas the GT3's always look on edge and nervous (imho)at the limit.Hope this answers your questions
Ross

Cheers Ross, certainly does.

Agreed, the driver has a lot to dso with the performance.

As you say, the GT3 is not very forgiving and to get the best out of it you need to be close to the edge. Their brakes are phenomenal, and the cars do turn very flat.

I wanted hear your impressions as to where (if anywhere) you felt the GT40 lost out. It sounds like you think you need more power, and your brakes are cooking fluid, right ?

How big a disks are you running currently, what size wheels, and what figures is your 302 giving ?

Sorry for the questions. I track a few different cars and drive with a group of guys that have quite a mix of cars (Audi RS4, Audi RS6, BMW M3CSL, Ferrari 355, Porsche 996TT, Porsche GT3, and the list goes on). I therefore know how they handle and compare (as well as how the driver differences stack up), but don't know how the GT40 compares.

I'm trying to ensure I make the right options for my GT40 to give myself the best fighting chance with them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Many thanks,
John.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yes John I have 400hp but need 500.Wheels are 17", 11" wide rear,9" wide front.Brake rotors 330mm front, 286mm rear.These I intend to upgrade.My car at the moment is very close in performance to a Ferrari 360 Modena.Have you got the car yet?
Ross

No,no car as yet.
I am down to a choice of two. Just waiting on some information hopefully by the end of this month that will enable me to get my wallet out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My choice is narrowed to an RF kit or a monocoque, both with tuned 302 & ZF. If I go mono then it would seem to make most sense to try to make it as close to original as possible, which means smaller wheels, no big brakes, etc.

A tricky call as I'm torn between maximum practicality with regard to performance, or originality.

Thanks for the information. Most helpful.

Cheers,
John.

Back