Pantera ZF 5DS 25 2

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Just listed on ebay. New seller though.
Someone might like to post the link since that's too technical for me!

Regards

Charlie M

Supporter
Interesting, this guy is only about 20 mi from me. Unfortunately, I bet the price gets close to that of a new one by the time the auction's done.

The thing that bothers me about auctions is in order to win one you have to be willing to pay more for the item than everyone else. It just seems hard to find a bargain that way. Oh well, I guess I'll stick with the 016.

Charlie

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
The thing that bothers me about auctions is in order to win one you have to be willing to pay more for the item than everyone else. It just seems hard to find a bargain that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also have to pay more than the reserve! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The auction has ended. Best bid of $5708 didn't meet reserve! Some people seem to have unrealistic expectations (IMHO) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Regards

Price is subjective, ZF's are expensive to buy AND maintain. I bought 7k mile tranny that appeared to be in great shape. The trans was run low on oil and cooked all 5 syncro's, no other damage. Too replace all 5 syncro's, re-seal, flip for GT40 etc. cost was $5000 over what I paid for the transaxle. One way or another you will pay $7500+ for a ZF set-up GT40 style. My .02

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
The trans was run low on oil and cooked all 5 syncro's, no other damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems strange to me. I would have thought the syncros would have been the last parts to be affected since they are not doing anything most of the time. Not that I'm familiar with ZF's though. Can anyone tell me why? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Russ I agree it does seem strange.The synchros are steel and maybe this is the reason, but as you say they are the last thing I would have thought low oil would affect considering constant mesh gears and the power through the cw&p with no oil.the synchros are a wear item though and unfortunately they wear the cone on the side of the gear too.So I believe replacement of synchros alone is not a fix.Imagine the cost of having to change all the gears as well.I won't dwell on it.I will admit I don't abuse my ZF when changing gear.
Ross

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
The trans was run low on oil and cooked all 5 syncro's, no other damage.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don’t have a ZF and am not familiar with them but a Pantera owner once told me that if the ZF was not upgraded (?) then it was necessary to shift from 1st to 3rd, skipping 2nd, when cold due to the 2nd gear syncro lacks oil until run thru a warm up period. If precaution was not taken then 2nd gear syncro would experience unnecessary wear.

What ever it worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
if the ZF was not upgraded (?) then it was necessary to shift from 1st to 3rd, skipping 2nd, when cold due to the 2nd gear syncro lacks oil until run thru a warm up period. If precaution was not taken then 2nd gear syncro would experience unnecessary wear

[/ QUOTE ]

The plot thickens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif The "upgrade" wouldn't be a thinner oil would it?

Regards

The syncros are steel, with ridges that hold oil on the wear surface. The ZF 25 dash (all models) were designed to be run "GT40 style". That is they are running upside down in a Pantera. While running in the Pantera the gear sets are up high and if the oil level is not up to the gear set level the syncro's will only be lubricated by splash. It is possible to press new syncro's on to existing gears if you can find them, however they are typically sold with the gear. As to the upgrade question. I believe this is the replacement and saftey wiring of the ring gear bolts. Cory Gelling at Collectors Choice in Wisconsin is the guy to talk to about the ZF's as they relate to GT40's IMHO.

Andy

I bid on this tranny and was offered at at EBAY 2nd chance to buy. I think this is a SCAM or bogus. Let the buyer beware. Audi "016" sell for $600 here and I think for the money it is a good box.

Back