Hartwell latches wanted

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Looking to purchase Hartwell latches and/or obtain part numbers and application - Sikorsky helicopter, Boeing 747 etc. so I can source them myself. Thanks. Military part numbers appreciated as well.

I got mine from McMaster Carr. 800# strength each i think and they were about $25 each and arrived in 1 day.

Devin

Supporter
Tommy,

Do you remember which part# it was? They have quite a selection (impressive) for all sorts of things.

Devin

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Tommy, thanks for the reply, however I am trying to purchase the originals. Thanks and perhaps Graham or others who have info could chime in.

Wolfman,
the part number was H3509-1 for hartwell, but for McMaster Carr the number is 1807A61 @ $23.17 each
They have 1000# load max and 800# working load strength.
they weigh .5 lb each the latch keeper is supplied.
They are 5 1/4" long and 1 5/8" wide
they refer to it as "Adjustable Container Tension Draw Latch
and they arrive in 1 to 2 days.
good luck with your build

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Ellis Hubbard in Cincinnatti is making the original latches, machined from billet. (Johnson Precision Machining) They are excellent quality, although not inexpensive.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the info Jim. Ellis is my fall back. I know Graham used to have latches for sale, but since he hasn't replied I guess he doesn't have them and can't get them anymore.

A while ago, I read an article about Holman & Moody starting production of their GT40s. The article mentioned that the latches were no longer availble, so they were making up new ones at a cost of $1,000 a piece.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
I still have two college educations to pay for. Lee can get his retirement money somewhere else. I also thought Holman was getting his latches fron Ellis. If that is the case, talk about markup!!!

I read the article about 10 years ago, so I don't remember if it said they made the latches or they had the latches made. But I'm pretty sure the cost back then was around $1,000.

We've got repros of the originals for $1200/set. (My 'umble apologies to the person I mistakenly quaoted a much lower price - it was a failure of communication on this end... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif )

bodylatch.gif

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Bob, Thanks for the info. Has there been a reduction in price, because I was quoted higher by someone other than you. Thanks.

I obtained a set of hartwell latches last week and they were off an English Electric Lightning fighter they are very much the same as the line drawing further down this page.
The part number is 26DK 9887 housing fastener but I havent got the pt number for the hinged latch part. I believe there are three more sets but I think some of the parts may not be brand new on those that he has left.
If any one is interested E-Mail me on [email protected]

Just thought you would like to see a photograph of the lathches I have aquired. part number 26DK 9887 (that number may relate to the aircraft to which they are fitted) as there are so many variations about.

Attachments

• 56177-latches.jpg1.jpg2.jpg
    56177-latches.jpg1.jpg2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 644
Back