Calling all Wiltshire (UK) based forum members

Castle Combe circuit urgently needs our help.

The circuit has been served with a Noise Nuisance Order by the local council and this may well mean the cancellation of British F3 and GT racing after 2005.

For the full story, see http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/

Local enthusiasts in particular are being encouraged to write to the relevant local councillor - see the website for details.

If you live nearby, or if you've ever driven there, (I know the Enthusiasts club has attended the Action Days), please add your voice.

This is something that really gets my goat - as you can probably tell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Charles

Keith

Hey Charles! I have raced @ CC (see below) in GT series and it was one the friendliest tracks of all, to say nothing of the quality of the circuit. It was (is) one of my favourites. Unfortunately, in our new found marshmallow wrapped nanny state called GB (2005) LTD, there's no such argument as "we were here first" Just one objection can achieve track closure if it isn't handled just right. I am a retired consultant dealing a lot with environmental noise issues in entertainment for 42 years and I know how tough it is once the NIMBY brigade get organised. I remember Brands Hatch going through this in the 70's and '80s and they have coped with it very well. Perhaps someone needs to contact them and do some research. I would love to send the local council a letter of support for the track, but as I live well outside the area, it will be instantly discarded.

Hope they win though!!!

Attachments

• 52783-camaro3(S).jpg
    52783-camaro3(S).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 287
Charles,
I used to live in Cricklade (born in Swindon) and regularly used to visit the circuit from about the late 50s. I shall certainly write and see if it helps.
Moonrakers Unite!!
Murray

Keith,

I was a member of the 'Goodwood supporters association' when Lord March was trying to get racing returned to Goodwood in the late 90s. At the appeal it was shown that around 75% of the objection letters were from properties outside the immediate area, and many were not even in the same county !
it was also shown though that letters from supporters do not need to be from the immediate area as it is an amenity open to the public who do not need to live local to enjoy it.

Amenity seems to be key word here along with quality of life. I bet the best they can hope for is to have an imposed noise limit and fewer days in use, the same as Goodwood...

Letter of support going in the post from me. Fingers crossed.

Keith

Weeeel, if you really think it would help chaps - I'll fire one of this weekend. I'm trying to focus on the fact that it's their 2 premier events they stand to lose, GT and F3 which are indeed prestigious for this track. Mind you, if they lose those for tenuous "noise nuisance" complaints - it's the thin end of a nasty big wedge for motorsports everywhere.

Back