covin Porsche 965 turbo replica

Hi
I have nearly completed my Porsche replica after 2 years of hard labour,just carpets and general interior tidying to do.The car when i first purchased it was a total mess,doors hanging off,the whole thing rattled badly when i drove it home,i dont know how it got an mot by the previous owner.
The fuel pipes were pumbed in using nylon braided garden hose and the rest of the car was up to the same standard.
Sent a picture if anyone is interested,its powered by a ford v6 2.8i which is a baby compared to your engines and i know most folks on here are gt40 but for me this is my dream. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Attachments

• 53011-Picture003.jpg
    53011-Picture003.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 2,118
Re: covin Porsche 965 turbo 2

last one i promise

Attachments

• 53019-engine14204002-1.jpg
    53019-engine14204002-1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,073

It looks really professional, did you do any mods to the engine. What transaxle does it use?
I run a mid engine Essex V6 in my AC3000 with twin turbo's on it.

Hi
The engine at the moment is stock but was in such good condition when i got it (in parts)it was re-bored and was all completely cleaned,the chap i got it off used it for up hill racing.I had to do mods to the airflow box,getting rid of the large plastic filter housing and fixing in a flat plate to a 76mm pipe for a cone filter to save space.I have also fitted the steel timing gear from quaife engineering,better to be save than sorry.I am looking into a turbo conversion at the moment,but not sure the tranaxle will cope.Its an uprated vw type 3 gearbox with altered ratio but is only good for around 200 Hp.The car only weighs in at 825 kgs so the power to weight is ok,i need to add some weight to the front though.It uses 944 brakess,driveshafts and A arms,Avo adjustable coilovers.Its sitting on the Covin chassis,not the vw floorpan.
I bet yours shifts with twins on it.Around 280 Hp i bet.

The colour is Porsche Polar Silver,i bet a 40 would look a bit special done in this colour,theres a very slight pearl in it and seams to change with the light.

There are loads of tuning parts for these engines, if you are going down the turbo route its the first decision as a lot of the other mods will relate to it, I have another AC with single turbo on, that I reckon is good for 200 - 230
but it runs the standard cam shaft and reduced comp ratio, a hi lift one was fitted in its past and had to be removed as it did not work well with the turbo.

The green AC was originally built for hillclimbs and competed quite sucessfully in the early 80's it ran water methanol injection and 15 PSI Boost on each turbo to give allegedly 380 BHP according to some magazine articles of the era, it has since be detuned significantly but is still rapid.

With the weight of yours and the power your considering tyre/size will be fun, I run 285/50 15's!

Hi
Not given it a good run yet,just up and down a private road(honest) as it needs MOT.Rears are 265/45/17 fronts are 225/45/17,but as i said its still rear heavy and need to add around 40-50 kgs to front end,i could of gone down the Porsche engine route but the price for a decent engine is ridiculous although these are around 60 kgs lighter with the use of all the alloy and plastic now used on modern engines.
I will just have to stick with my boat anchor v6 for now.

Hi Again
Just a quick qestion,as the exhaust system takes a really fast route out the rear of the car i used the biggest mufflers i could fit under the car and its very tight.I got 2 new units that were for a 2ltr Toyota to try to keep the sound at a reasonable level,but feel i could be better,What would you suggest to use,?

I have always measure the available space and then applied at least a 2 inch bore pipe box (Peco, Janspeed). It maybe better to run both pipes into one large box with a single large outlet if space is tight?

If have no clue what to use I go down the local scrappy and get a few old boxes as patterns then see what aftermarket box is available as an upgrade on that vehicle.

If its turbo charged you can get away with a bit less on the silencer front,

Why not try to get hold of an old pair of 993 silencers and possibly tips ?

You might have to pay a bit more for them, but they would look more the part.
The 993 silencers live in the rear most part of the rear wheel wells, and both the inlet and outlet go in the same end of the can.

There are a few breakers about. Douglas Valley springs to mind, and there are a few up around Burton on Trent area too.

Just a thought.

Back