Variable fan speed controller.

I take it you mean the fans on your radiator to keep the cooling system from over heating. On my CAV they are thermostaticly controlled with an over ride switch on the dash. My question is why would you want to slow down the fans if you are over heating? Joseph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hi Joseph,

If my engine is overheating I don't want the fans to slow down - it's more a case of getting the fan speed you need at any given time.
Rather than having a fan either on or off at say 85 degrees this box of tricks slowly creeps the fan speed up starting at say 80 degrees and at 85 they are back on full as normal. It would mean if you have been cruising for a while and then stop at lights you don't suddenly get the fans kicking in.
The temperature is adjustable to whatever you wan't and also means the fans only take as much power as you need - putting less strain on the alternator.
I'm hoping on a day like today in the UK (3 degrees) that the fans wouldn't need to hit full speed at all.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
IMHO

It's just one more thing to go wrong in a mission critical system.

One thing they leave out in their little demonstration of why you need their system is the mechanical thermostat which adds regulation and stability to the heat fluctuations they're showing.

In a properly designed system the fans should never even come on above about 25 mph anyway.

Back