GT40 Emblem

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Been thinking for a while about this, it's always bothered me that nobody in the states sells GT40 components like they do in Britain etc., well there's some but not as much.

Anyway had this idea for an emblem. My valve covers of choice are the Moroso stamped aluminum ones. They weigh 1-1/4 lbs each and come anodized blue gold and red for about $75 per pair.

The only problem is the Moroso logo is embossed on them right in the center with raised letters. Why can't you take a piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet, emboss "GT40" on it, paint fill the emboss and bond with 3M 5200 marine adhesive (need to research heat resistance), or SS buttonhead allen bolts to the cover.

There's a 1/16" recess in the back so it sits down over the raised Moroso letters and sits flush on the valve cover. It's designed specifically to fit the Moroso cover but will probably work on any cover that has a flat top that's large enough to fit the dimensions. It measures 7-1/2" wide x 1-3/4" tall x 1/8" thick. and will come drilled or undrilled your choice.

I've researched the material, cutting, text engraving and paint fill. But don't really want to paint them because everyone likes different colors. Polishing is a lot of extra hand work at this volume and that will drive the price higher than desired. When your paint filling anyway you have to re polish so the paint stage has to come first.

Would provide them with detailed written instructions on mounting and color filling the embossed area and polishing. Imagine the price will be somewhere around $20 each so $40 the pair with 5% going to this forum.

The design is not really finalized and the text will be much more accurate with CNC including the sharp pointed corners slightly radiused. The cad program doesn't display accurate curves on this size text.

Any feedback is appreciated and this could lead to other parts like the vent window hardware etc. depending how it goes.

It's not necessary to answer NO on the poll, I just need a count of how many would consider purchasing. Thanks.

mor-68191.jpg

mor-68190_w.jpg

mor-68192_w.jpg

Attachments

• 53353-Emblem.jpg
    53353-Emblem.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 433
Kalun, You have too much time on your hand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I voted yes!

Chris Duncan

Supporter
why thanks Faili,

actually I've got the flu so not being out in the garage workin on the 40 I was sitting at the computer wondering what to do

I'll make some prototypes and take some pics so people can get a better idea.

Maybe someone can help me locate valve covers that have 289 engraved in them . I'ved seened them only once , they are similar to the aluminum cast "cobra" ones we always see. Also what is the size of the ford blue emblem we see on RF40's front hood .Looks great an would love to mount one on my CAV.

Vic. They are mounted recessed at the time of build and I don't think they would look so good mounted on the flat. Regards

Vic,

You mean like this?
35678-engine.jpg

I got mine from Rocky Mountain Classis Mustang in Littleton, CO. Their website seems to have gone away (try a web search. Their phone number was 303-771-5830). These are standard licensed items, and probably anybody who can supply the Cobra covers can order them. You might try Tony Branda if RMCM is no longer around...

And if somebody offers you a used set, try to make sure they're not off my car!

Edit: Found them at Mustangs Unlimited (black) or (polished)

steve, thanks for the info, ordering up a set today..next up grade has to be webers ....WOW.... they look sharp.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Drawn in Inventor, still first learning, does the radius/fillets way better than Acad.

The numbers are lower than anticipated but I still want to do this. I think the initial legwork won't be that much more to do one as to do 25 pairs and the investment cost is negligible at that amount.

Attachments

• 53620-BlueEmb.jpg
    53620-BlueEmb.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 368

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Another (more expensive) option is to anodize the plate and then leave the emboss aluminum (or paint a color).

Attachments

• 53622-RedEmb.jpg
    53622-RedEmb.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 373
Kalun

My experience with stamped alum covers is not good.
Once I overtighten them they leak.
I prefer the cast covers...not so easy to overtighten.
I do like your idea however.

Vic...don't know exactly which FORD emblem CAV used,
but appears similar to the standard issue badge
on most 1990's Ford cars. Check out
Mustangs Unlimited catalog for prices/choices.
IMHO they don't look bad mounted flat.
I would not go to the trouble of modifying your body.

MikeD

Chris Duncan

Supporter
""Once I overtighten them they leak.""

Yes, if you use just a bolt with a small washer it doesn't distribute the load and you'll get distortion.

That's why they make valve cover hold down tabs, to distribute the load over a larger area.

fms-m6681a302.jpg

Go to Keith Craft engines ,an advertiser here,They will custom make you valve covers for you.

Back