Master cylinder reservoir height

Am I right in thinking that as long as the level of the fluid in the reservoir is above the master cylinder, then it's OK?
My reservoir hoses will drop down slightly before coming back up to the master cylinder.

Simon

Howard Jones

Supporter
Simon, you are correct. The fluid level in two connected comtainers will be the same.Therefor the connection between them will remain full of fluid as long as both containers are full to alevel abouve the conection opening. This assumes that you will bleed the system first I would place the remotes as high as possible in the chassis above the master as possible in our cars. The line between them will then route where it must.

Ben, If the caliper cylinder in nearly level with the master or above the master you will need to install a residual pressure valve as near as possible to the master cylinder. I did on the front brakes of my GTD when I did my Wilwood upgrade. at first without I had a lot of pad retraction. With a 2 pound valve in the front line the fronts were fine.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Typically I think the high point should be the resovoir and slope down through the system to the slave cylinders/calipers. If this isn't possible it's ok just makes it harder to bleed as long as the resovoir is the high point.

It doesn't matter where the master is as long as the resovoir is higher than everything else. If the resovoir is lower then you need a residual valve.

This is one of the reasons single masters come with a remote resovoir kit, for bottom pivot pedals.

Back