GT40 Spyder...Spider...Targa...?s

This seemed like a group of informed GT40 enthusiast. I'm needing one with a better memory than mine. I'm wanting to make a 1/64 model of what I think is a 1965 GT40 Spyder. This particular one was a victim of a souvenir hunter when, as I think the story goes, the driver was making a road side tire change. I haven't got much more that I recall for sure. I'd think this would have had to occur at some place like Targa Florio or some course that the spectators have run of the track. For some reason I recall this car being painted a shade of green. If a photo I have is of that machine the car # is 146. I'd appreciate any assistance toward the fruition of this project.
Thanks,
Coleman

yes, they show footage (maybe 15-20 seconds) of that event on the BEHIND THE HEADLIGHTS show on speed vision regarding the GT40. I recall it being Targa Florio. They say Whitmore was driving and lost a wheel. The spectator took the spinner used to hold the wheel on. The car was a shade of green. The car later crashed and did not finish the event.

My Ronnie Spain book says this happened 5-9-65 the car was 194 chassis 111 and the drivers were Whitmore and Bondurant and it was a 289 Roadster.

Mike

Thanks. I knew there would be someone here that could answer that. I got a pretty good photo of the rear of the car. I appreciate the info
Regards,
Coleman

Back