GT40s take honours at Shelby Festival in OZ

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Flatchat where were you? We rocked up to Winton circuit on Saturday morning and the weather was looking good.5-RF's and one DRB, about 20 or so Cobras and 1 daytona cobra.I hadn't driven at Winton since the wet day i first drove the 40 on a track 18 months ago.The car felt quick and after 2 laps i caught the tail enders.6 cars on the track at a time against the clock.I managed to start first each time and got a couple of quick laps in before catching the tail enders.At the end of the day Chris Liokis had retired with gearbox stuck in third and I had fastest time of the day by more than 2 secs from the DRB 40.Trophy number 1 thank you.
Sunday another fine day off to Heathcote dragstrip.Took time to learn how to stage the car and drop the clutch before green etc.What a ball I had this is going to help my race starts immensely.I did quite a few runs and really wanted to beat the 12.56 sec time I set at Geelong.Well I was outside it until Steve in the DRB and I lined up together for a few grudge runs.I won the first but he beat me in the last 2 with a 12.22 and 11.95 bugger.Anyway I did a 12.34 and equalled the fastest cobras time.Trophy number 2 for 2nd but I won the big trophy for 1st place in all classes woo hoo.There is a very big smile on my face still.I'll post a pic of the trophies soon.
Ross

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yep and I wish it was mine Ron.How many into the 11s do we have now? Steve's car has the same hp as mine 300 at the wheels.I was having trouble with my tall gearing off the line but a 12.34 is getting close, 116 mph consistently too.
I thought the big block Cobras would beat us at the drags but no.Great fun.
Ross

Ron

What's your opinion. 300 hp at the wheels seems low to me
to push a GT40 into the 11's. And the DRB is not a liteweight.

Ross

Street tires or shaved? 12.34 is still darn quick.
Congrats.

MikeD

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Here is the promised pic of my booty Ross

Attachments

• 55012-Picture001(640x480).jpg
    55012-Picture001(640x480).jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 362

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Mike- Sumitomo street tyres

Flatchat- too easy eh! Oh yeah I'll admit I was in the comfort zone but did go off the track a couple of times.There is talk I will get an invite to the Nationals at Wakefield, I will let you know.Is the AMRS meeting a long race with no refueling I'm in trouble with a 30L tank if it is.Can I be assured you will show?LOL
Ross

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
On the dragstrip up against a Shelby Mustang guess who won?

Attachments

• 55016-IMG_3127(600x450).jpg
    55016-IMG_3127(600x450).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 314

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Ron,

Yep, the little ol' red DRB did ok on real street tyres in the Sprint & nailed it in the drags :

- 11.95 fastest run
- 12.20 with Steve's wife on board as well !!!!

It also was not stripped out for weight - full seats, carpet, A/C, DVD/TV, etc !!

Not bad for 300hp at the wheels & "not a liteweight" street-car !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter,

Is the quarter mile less than 1320' in Oz, or does the

Coriolis Effect somehow give you guys an edge down

there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Maybe the rest of us all been going against the

Earth's rotation all these years! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Please tell Steve that I offered my congratulations!

BTW, what was his 1/4 mile speed?

Bill

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
1320 feet !! Whats going on ? Being a nation founded on things maritime, we have always used Nautical Miles (until the metric blight hit). So our 1/4 mile is actually 1519 feet ! At a rough guess, that would make Steve's time over a US 1/4 mile something like 10.38 sec - talk about a "level playing field" !! (JUST JOKING !!).

Yep, us Aussies know how to put the right "spin" on something - actually, I think some bloke by the name of Coriolis was in Steve's pit crew !

Steve's times/speeds (according to the records) :

- 11.95 sec / 118mph
- 12.20 sec / 114 mph (with his wife on the Sunday drive)

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter,

Are there any reaction time figures?

Steve had to be incredibly quick on the trigger,

when the lights went green! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Not a slacker on shifting either, is he? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill

Ron Earp

Admin
Mike,

I think 300 at the wheels is a little low for an 11s car at 2600lbs. But, it is getting close I think, very close. I would think that 350-370 at the wheels would and should get an 11s slip, but these 40s seems funny on 1/4 times - they don't jive with anything else I have experience with. I mean heck, 350 rear wheel hp in a 3100lb Mustang can get an 11s slip with slicks, lightweight skinnies upfront, and some short rear gear. Same motor in the 40, which is lighter, doesn't seem to guarentee that at all.

Heck, three months ago I watched a Lightning which weighs 4575lbs lay down a 12.1 at 114mph with 441 rear wheel hp (and a LOT more torque). Slicks, 4 speed automatic, very stock truck - just add the pulley for more boost.

R

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I hope Steve doesn't mind me quoting them, but the figures are the public figures :

With passenger on the 12.2 s run :

- Reaction time = 0.765 s
- 60 ft = 2 s
- 330 ft = 5.4 s
- 660 ft = 8.8 s
- 1000 ft = 10.3 s

(Somehow lost the figures for his fastest solo run - I can probably recover them if you like).

A slacker, Steve is not !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Well done Ross, thanks for taking me for a spin in your 40 whilst in OZ, its an impressive motor, nice to see youve got some shiney bits for your mantelpiece

Cheers

Joe T

Peter,
That is really moving on in a "not so light" car. Gives me hope for mine if I can only get it finished. Hope you wern't distracted by the DVD!! Congrats!! You didn't by chance have a video camera handy during that run did you???

Bill

Ron Earp

Admin
I'd be interested to see more 60' times on 40s - that seems to be the killers for the 11s time slips. Good job on those runs!!!

Ron

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Bill, I'd like to take the credit, but it wasn't my car - it was Steve Shedden's. He's had his on the road for a few years now & gets lots of track time in with the Cobra boys (& usually upsets them quite a bit - firstly by sitting on the grid with the A/C on watching TV, then by beating them in the races !).

It just goes to show what can be done with these cars, given time & the levels of expertise that Steve clearly has.

As for me, I just want to get my car sorted out enough to travel beyond the "affordable towing zone" !!! After that, I may have a go at a track day - that should scare me & everyone else sufficiently to be able to label it "been there, done that (badly)" !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Mike and Ron,
On a Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer my car produced 309.8 hp, it was run in 4th gear and the engine is limited to 6500rpm. It runs a Holley carb, Mallory ignition, Edelbrock RPM heads and manifold. The car weighs 1170kg or 2620 lbs as it is a full road car with carpet, leather, aircon, TV, DVD, Radio and rear view camera.
On the drag strip the car ran with its normal road registered tyres which were purchased in May 2004.
It runs 235/40/17 front and 265/40/17 rear.
It does not have the 350/370 that you suggest it must have to do the times.

If you convert the 309.8HP on the Dyno Dynamics to a

Dynojet, and things begin to make more sense.

Well done, Steve!!!

Bill

The "Little Red Blur" does it again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back