Watkins Glen info?

I'm considering going to the Cobra/GT40 event at Watkins Glen later this year. Does anyone have any more specific info about it, or are any 40's from the Forum planning to go? I'd like to get a sense of how many GT40's might be there, before committing to a pretty long trip. Thanks.

Do you know he dates? I may take 1080 as by then it will be based in Conneticuit, but is will depend if the dates clash with the Classic le mans race being held in Japan.

1080 is about to be shipped to the USA from England. It may also make a guest apperance depedning upon how long it takes to land.

Re: Watkins Glen

Don't have time to get AM2 out of mothballs in time, but I'll be taking my comp Cobra up for the parade laps and track tours if the weather looks decent.
Red #13--Stop by and say hello.
Jack

Gary,

I look forward to seeing 1080 at the Watkins Glen Event.
(your GT40 has a very unique detailed paint finish). I arrive at the Elmira/Corning Regional Airport at 12:00 Noon on June 18th and should be there through June 19th. Hope to meet you.

I emailed HSR the other day to see if they had a designated parking area for Shelbys/Cobras/GT40s that were not being raced and to check if pre-registration was necessary. The reply was that this is "technically a non-spectator event". No area is set aside for cars that are not racing, and the track tours are cancelled. There are probably issues with the insurance carrier and/or the track administration in regard to it being a club rather than a public event, so while it may be possible to get into the event, it may not be what you are expecting (Assuming that you aren't racing). HSR was very friendly and helpful, but it would be a good idea to contact them for specifics if you plan to take a car that you are not racing, or if you are just going to watch. Is anyone else taking a Shelby/Cobra/GT40 who aren't racing? I don't want to be the "Lone Ranger".

I'm taking my GT40 and I'm not racing. I should have the final power tune done on the car by then but the tires are only my "sorting and show" tires and are not worthy of the Glen.

I was hoping to get a lap or two in to see how my baby sounds at high tune. Nada for non-racers? Grumble. Then it's off to Summit Point where 4th gear means you're not trying hard enough.

Ron McCall

Supporter
So will spectators be able to get in on Sat and Sun? How do I find out?

Jack,
If you need a hand de-mothballizing the GT40,LMK! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ron

Ron:
Call HSR at 1 888 477 5999 or email [email protected]. Let us know what they tell you.
Thanks for the offer, but I doubt if I am going at this point. If I do, I'll probably still take the Cobra.
Jack

Ron McCall

Supporter
Jack,
I just found out that the SVTOA club is having a "Car Corral" and they are offering tickets to members for $30 for the entire event.
Thanks,
Ron

Back