Shortened '93 G50-05 5spd on eBay

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Re: Shortened \'93 G50-05 5spd on eBay

Note the inside of the bell housing has not been opened up for the earlier flywheel. This means you can only run the porsche starter which will not reliably turn a V8.

Bottom line, this trans needs more mods to work in a GT40 but it's a good start.

Value depends on whether or not it has a limited slip diff, which is not indicated. It's worth $3K plus if it does but is worth only $2,5K if it doesn't.

Kalun_D, i thought the porsche starter was ok in this set up? I would appreciate any more info you have. I was considering this setup!

Cheers
Chris

Chris,

You'd be far better off with a reduction gear starter.

The Porsche starter might be OK for a 6 cylinder,

but a high compression V8, forget it!

Most guys use a HiTorque gear reduction starter with a

Porsche gearbox/V8 combination. I paid $180 for mine, from

Kennedy Engineered Products in California. I'm sure that

somebody sells them in the UK, as well.

Bill

Chris Duncan

Supporter

This is an '89 or later G50, it runs a different style flywheel that does not have an aftermarket gear reduction starter made for it.

It's a relatively simple operation to clearance the inside of the bell housing in order to fit the pre '89 flywheel which will fit a gear reduction starter.

Patrick Motorsports in Phoenix charges about $500 but it's a simple operation. I did it with a small mill drill and a rotary table in about 2 hours.

I'm sure you could get it done locally at any competent custom machine shop. You also have to clearance the starter pocket but that could even be done with a hand file.

There was a thread that covered the specifics, try a search.

Kennedy reports that the Porsche starter turns over the Chevy LS1 engine with no difficulty. I believe that engine has a CR of 10.5:1, so it may be possible to start a Ford engine of moderate compression ratio.

The use of the Porsche heavy duty or winter starter and this configuration of bell housing requires a flywheel that is built differently from the 89 unit (commonly used with the G50 and G50/50), and the use of the lighter Porsche "club clutch" pressure plate and disk. Kennedy indicates this combination will support 525 ft-lb of torque. It is also about 14 pounds lighter than the 89 Porsche clutch and pressure plate.

Chris Duncan

Supporter

Good news then Mike, and that's news to me. My research is about 2 or 3 years old and it was from KEP among others so it looks like some new ideas have taken place.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

[ QUOTE ]
Value depends on whether or not it has a limited slip diff, which is not indicated. It's worth $3K plus if it does but is worth only $2,5K if it doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

It didn't sell. No bids and a buy it now $2995. Been relisted same as before.

Regards,

Back