enjoy this little site i found

The Go Kart looks like fun bloody thing flies, you would have a huge tyre bill with that one.Also check out the the tiger handling video absolutley awsome driving.

I agree Steve - great site and that kart is simply awesome, however, I looked at the bike video of 0 to 220 and there's no way that that is 220 - wrong sprockets perhaps??

Anyone else think different??

Paul,

220KPH is only 136.7MPH, plus the guy took a rolling start.

This bike's turning 11,000rpm, so it's no surprise

to me that he can bury that 220kph speedo in a hurry.

Today's bike technology is simply amazing.

Jump on a new Ducati and you'll be convinced, and SCARED!

I tried a friend's Duc ONCE, just once! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Haven't

been on a bike since! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill

Hi Bill -

Look again, the speedo reads MPH on the outside scale and KPH on the inside scale. The rider hits 220MPH speedo endstop at 10K rpm and then the revs continue to rise, quite quickly, another 1000rpm. That would make his top speed somewhere about 240+ MPH.

I know bikes are quick, and I can easily see a bike doing 200+ but 240? as easily as that? Finally, as he (or she) slows down, they pass a side road still travelling at about 130MPH - still does'nt look like 130 to me.

Don't get me wrong - I like bikes and the control shown by the tiger driver, or the Supra driver (drifting) is amazing.... I just don't believe what that bike video is claiming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ps - my days of bikes, broken bones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif etc are long gone, put me on a big modern bike and I'd be amazed, scared and probably dead in quick order!

Paul,

The camera view obscured the MPH from view. I just saw the

KPH, not MPH. Damn metric system! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

220MPH? That quickly? Not likely, unless he had a rocket

up his butt! Your statement about the rear sprocket must be

true. The lack of any visible vibration at speed, sends up

a red flag as well, particularly when he lets off the gas.

The last bike that I owned hit 156.7MPH, and the view at

that speed was a LOT more like "tunnel vision" than that

video.

My days of road rash and sandpaper kisses were over 20

years ago too. Two high speed wipeouts were plenty for me!

In retrospect, it's a miracle that many (read any) of us

survived our youth! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Yet, we did! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill

Ron Earp

Admin
I think that is definitely KPH. Bikes are darn fast though - just got the latest issue of Cycle World - a stock 600 Sport Bike broke into the 9's in the quarter - amazing!!!!! I like Ducatis, but if you to sample some serious speed just jump on one of the latest Asian 1L+ bikes and be prepared for serious acceleration.

The rider in the bike video had a rolling start, but, have any of you guys tried gassing up a modern cycle from a standing start? It is very hard! Even on the rolling starts you'll likeyl be looking at the sky in gears 1,2,3 .

Paul you need to try one. My first bikes were stuff like CB750s, Z1000s, etc - older machines I could afford. When I was older and could sample the newer machines I have been flat amazed.

Hello - me again

Speedo shows km/h on inner scale (below pointer)
Not the clearest of pics, but inner ring 70 = outer 45, inner 110 = outer 67ish, inner 170 = outer 102 (just above GSX1300R logo) inner 250 = outer 155ish. So I rekon they are claiming 220+ MPH or about 350KMH! - yeah right.

As I said before - I like bikes, I wish I was still of the build to be able to effectively ride one, and still have the bottle!

I don't know what the top speed reported by factory for GSX1300R is and hey, the bike might have a T3 turbo and Nos fitted - I just don't see the speedo being right for the video presented. When we attempted the 200 in Roys 40 last year (yes I know we only made 168) but even on a runway, the taxiways joining to the side went by bloody quick at that speed, unlike the side road the bike passes which passes quite slowly.

Ron - for me, Z650B was fun, Z1000 was better, GT750 2-stroke(Kettle) felt bloody dangerous and I never got to try a KH over 250, the 500 or 750 would have been a blast. Fastest I've been on a bike (not very) 135 on an icy new years day Yamaha RD500YPVS 2-Stroke and 145ish, on a CB900FF with Yosh cams and smoothbore carbs. (neither bike were mine!) NOT on the public road of course.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ps - next crack at 200 is sheduled for this July, after Brighton's antics, we'll be running Cool Blue 76 and firing on 8 this time + Dave's having a go in his R42 avec NOS.... he he he /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 55807-bikespeedo2.JPG
    55807-bikespeedo2.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 695

Ron Earp

Admin
I honestly didn't look at the type of bike or the speedo but I might time it. Here are some stock Suzuki GSXR1300 times from Cycle World. I have seen videos of turbocharged ones and they will definitely peg 220 with the right sprockets. Stock times:

Top Speed : 190.3 mph
Standing quarter : 10.3 sec @ 143.9 mph
0-60 mph : 2.8 sec
0-100 mph : 5.3 sec
Power : 151.6 rwhp
Torque : 94 ft-lbs

I might time that video and have a look. I do remember the review in Cycle World, although I don't have it any longer. Seems the speedo was optimistic in the test.

R

I can't view this at work, but here's an on line footage which shows how bikes normally move around at 150+ mph.
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/youthinkyourfast.html

I've got some on bike footage from some of my trips and track days, and due to the camera angle 120 to 140mph looks like a sunday shopping trip. The lens angle is not wide enough to see enough of the peripheral vision. If it wasn't for the speedo there would be no clues as to how fast I was going. Shame really as what were exciting rides look sooo boring to watch.

Pretty much all bikes are quick to 140ish. After that they take a bit of time, and getting beyond a true 180 is hard.

220mph would have to be a blown or seriously tuned bike. No standard bikes have that performance, even when chipped & basic tuned.

As for the comment about jap bikes being quicker, well in a straight line maybe, but the italian stuff out of the box is generally better handling and makes it power lower in the revs so point to point there isn't anything in it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Have a look on the Ultima Cars web site. there is a video clip of their car doing 0-100-0 again in a record time (10.3secs). That doesn't look like 100mph to me either but it is. http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/record.html

Cheers,
John. (with Ducati 996, 998 & ST4S in the garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here is the current speed record for Bonniville timming asso. Motorcycle, supercharged, gasoline engine, 1650cc modified partial streamerliner, John Noonan October,2003 Suzuki

243.960mph

Street bikes don't go that fast. If you go thur the records there are VERY few non-streamliner bikes over 220mph. This one record was the only record over 240mph that wasn't a full on harley davidson or other pro raceshop +2000cc supercharged effort.

I believe that the suzuki here was making about 500hp. It was a VERY SCARY THING. Its biggest problem was uncontrolable wheel spin as the bike neared 250MPH. Aero drag could not be overcome with avaiable traction.

Think about that and look at the video again. Looks like about 140mph to me. I have ridden bikes at over 150MPH and I'm just not buying it. Must have changed the gear in the speedo for the shot.

Ron Earp

Admin
Saw a turbo GSXR1300 in Cycle World about 2 years ago hit 222 mph - it was a "street bike" in that it was suited for street driving and was reported very docile - if you could keep from twisting it up.

I wonder how Jay Leno's turbine bike does? It is pretty slow in the quarter (10s) compared to large piston bikes but to my knowledge has not been run on the top end!

http://www.bikemenu.com/turbine.html

Nice bikes with a high build quality.

R

Peter Ranson sent this to me.

For all you bike guys out there, and I'm one of them(long time ago).

One rooted RC45 Honda

This is a "cleaned up" version. The police cleaned it out and put it
back together to show what CAN happen.

The Honda rider was traveling at "very high speed" and did not see the
golf.

Swedish police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h when he hit the car. The
car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car.

This is a graphic warning of what CAN happen if you turn it on and
don't have the sense to turn it of. This demonstration was placed at the
Stockholm Motorcycle fair by the Swedish Police and Roadsafety
department.

The Volkswagen flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet
from where the collision took place. All three involved (two in car and
rider) where killed instantly.

The MC-rider had a new license.

1504044Bike1.jpg

1504048Bike3.jpg

1504049Bike4.jpg

Bill

Very impressive, and disturbing...

I'm not totally convinced that bike ended up like that in the car, but its a small point given the end result :|

Ron Earp

Admin
Howard, that name rings a bell, I am going to try and find that article. I think that guy/team built the bike I remember reading about - but it wasn't lengthend and tarted up for speed like the one in the article. It did have the moulded fairing as I recall around the rider but was still street looking.

That is some serious looking hurt in those photos. I believe that thing would go right in there - a 150mph 500-600lb missle will do bad things.

Someone is telling porkie pies, that`s not an RC45, it`s an NC30, the little 400cc version, so the speed wouldn`t have been THAT great (though for a 400 not that slow either!). To be pedantic, the RC45 didn`t have the cut outs at the front of the seat panels and they had a single rear light, not those little twin units.
I know, it was the last bike I had (destroyed by a miopic old git pulling out on me, a write off, snapped the head stock) and while I agree with John that the modern Italian stuff is good that RC45 was the best handling bike I ever road and I had direct a comparison, I had an original `94 916 Strada and the `94 RC45 at the same time, the RC45 was the sweetest turning bike and while missing out on a little drive out of turns would still run rings around that Ducati, I didn`t find anything quicker point to point.
If you get a chance to have a play on one go for it, the`re lacking in power against todays bikes but they steer like a 400, and that`s some combination for a B roads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ron, on second inspection I think that the bike pictured is a logo of sorts for the site and not the Noonan bike. I think we are thinking about the same guy. He runs the thing a lot down in South Cal. It is a monster. Big belt driven supercharger under the seat. In Utah on the salt, I think they just kept turning up the boost until the tire couldn't take anymore. Came away with a one way 250 mph pass and a record 240+ ave. God I'd never do that. If you fell off at that speed the longest bone in you body would be about 2 inchs long when you stoped tumbling.

The picture pretty much says it all. Don't let your daughter on the back of one. I know of 3 teen girls killed or crippled because of a teenage boy friend showing off.

Makes me shutter. My fastest shunt on a bike was about 70mph when it got away from me, I hit the ground at about 50. It seamed like , hurt, and felt like about a 1000. Scared me bad. I never really wanted to race bikes again after that.

Stuart,
a 94 916 is a long way from a 996, or a 998. 7 or 8 years of development goes a long way.

Agreed the RC45 is a cracking bike, but it was hardly mass market material /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I'd still love an RC45 now, but for some reason the missus seems to think I have already exceeded my toy threshold and so have to sell some before I can collect more... [rolls eyes]
Funny, I thought as long as there was room in the garage and money in the bank I could keep buying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That noonan bike looks mad !
Howard, I know what you mean about showing off. I was sent a video clip recently of a guy pulling a wheelie and his pillion falling off the back !

Back