Car tax (UK)

I want to tax my car from the 1st of May as I want to drive to Stonleigh that day. The problem is, that it's a Sunday so all the post offices are closed.
Will I be able to tax it on the Saturday (30th April)
Thanks
Simon

Yes you will.
My mum works in a post office and I recently asked her exactly this question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
If you have the form you can tax it up to 7 calender days prior to the end of the month.
If it is currently sorn'd then you can only do it 3 days before. Remember that you need to take the log book too as well as money/mot/insurance if it was sorn'd.

So if you really wanted to you should be able to get the tax on the Friday.

Cheers,
John.

Having just today made a wasted visit to a busy post office, please note it is in fact only 2 days before the start of the licence.

Eh ??

I've been and got mine today no problem...
I hasten to add this was not where my mother works either, so no special treatment...

I'm really sorry Dave.
I'm heading in tomorrow to pick up some euros so will ask them where I got my tax today.

Very odd.

John,

After a literally 15 minute queue time I was rather livid with the counter staff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but I checked up on the DVLA website and it clearly says no more than two days before so they were right - shame cos I was looking forward to sticking one on them today!!

link : http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/howdoi_licence.htm under heading When can I apply for my licence

I expect some staff are just not aware or that petty. Anyway I have today to go again so it won't be a problem. At least I won't feel guilty taking the car out tomorrow - after all this rule is designed precisely to expect this likelihood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, I did ask today Dave, and guess what. The same person that served me yesterday said '2 days'.
I then asked how come they'd let me get my tax yesterday.
The woman looked totally dumb-struck and checked her calender before saying I must have had a nice smile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Glad you got it sorted, but sorry you had a wasted trip yesterday.

John, no worries. Must work on my smile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back