BEST NOISE

Reading the post about noise problems at Goodwood got me thinking about the best sounding and loudest (!) race cars. Obviously I love the GT40 with a cross over system, in fact any big V8 is lovely.
But the loudest and possibly best I have ever heard is the V16 BRM. One and a half litre supercharged circa 500 bhp and notoriously unreliable. I remember my Dad telling me he heard one racing at Snetterton in the fifties and you could hear it all the way round the circuit above all the other cars!
The first time I got to hear one was at Silverstone during the Coys Historic Festival a few years ago. I was sitting in the grandstand near the start finish line and we saw the BRM being towed up and down behind a quad bike as they tried to start it. It was owned by Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason.
Eventually it emerged and stuttered off round the circuit sounding horrible. But as it came round Woodcote the first time all 16 cylinders chimed in together and the NOISE! The entire grandstand put their hands to their ears and turned away. It didn't just hurt your ears but your rib cage as well.
As an aside I had a talk with former BRM employee Peter (?)Rivers-Fletcher many years ago. He said that during the seventies (I think) they took the V16 for a demonstration by Graham Hill during the South African Grand Prix at Kylami. Because the track was thousands of feet above sea level they had no idea how to set up the engine, so just bunged the biggest intake on the supercharger they could find in the box of bits that came with it.
Purely by chance they had got it dead right. Hill was only supposed to do three slow laps - but they had to pull him in after about twelve. He had a big grin on his face - apparently the BRM was pulling about 185 mph down the main straight!
I was wondering what was your personal favourite?

Ken,

I have to agree with your comments on the BRM! I had the pleasure of push starting one a few years ago and yes, they're a little loud /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Legend has it that when it was taken for a shakedown at Silverstone, a man out shopping in Towcester (6 *MILES* away) heard it, recognised it, left his shopping at went to watch. Well, wouldn't we all??

Charles

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The most incredible sound from an engine , I have heard was the line up of six cylinder Honda race bikes at Goodwood a couple of years ago....
I was standing less than 2 feet from them when the technician started the bikes and was warming them up and knocking off the chokes...he had no ear protection and had his head 4 inches from the carbs listening to them and blipping the throttle to in excess of 10k rpm....the hairs on my neck and arms stood up ...not just because of the incredible sound but also the history and the honour of seeing and hearing these beasts at close quarters.....Nirvana....
the Surtees Honda F1 car didn't sound too bad either .....what an incredible exhaust system too...

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
The BRM was great - they even made a 7inch record of it starting, blipping and driving- real music.

There were also the turbine cars of the early 1970's and they howled!

Loudest I have been near a Mazda RX7 (non turbo) 3" straight through pipes seriously modified race engine (they talked almost 18000 rpm) and the sticatto shot that rang out when he got back on the power in a corner. The sight of about 10 foot flames out the exhaust helped the overall effect. Yes you could hear it all around the track!

Happy days

Ian

Fran, I know what you mean about those honda's. Trully awesome.

There are a couple I like, depending on which petrol-head hat I'm wearing.
Standing beside a spitfire while it had its merlin engine ground tested was something else, as was seeing/hearing its flight shortly afterwards. Amazing sound !

My dad has vintage bikes so we used to attend a lot of vintage bike events when I was a kid. Hearing a race prep'd pre 1st WW 500 single on open cans is something else. Makes me smile just thinking about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

By far the loudest though was being present when one of the record breaking cars at a Brooklands open day was fired up. I think it was the napier railton, but can't honestly recall

For me its not just the noise, its the smell. Getting that waft of castrol R as a bike/car/plane goes past is heaven.

Happy days indeed Ian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cheers,
John.

LOUDEST: Probably one of the 500+ ci motors running Nitro in Top fuel. You more feel the sound than hear it!

BEST: The one 10" behind my left ear when I'm in Roys Mk1 of course.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually - I tend to agree with the BRM, truly ear-splitting!

I really enjoyed the sound my Aprilia SL1000 made. That 1000cc twin at 10k rpm sure turned some heads...especially with the exhaust cans I had on it.

As far as car engines, I'd have to say I still have a soft spot for early Ford 289s with solid lifters.

There is loud good...and loud bad....

I was at Dover downs years back, and one of the cars had
a 180 degree crank-style motor that was ear piercing.
It was literally painful.

I agree with Paul about the Top Fuel being the loudest.
I found about 3/4 down track was louder than the finish
line for some reason. They actually shake the ground
with their sound waves, and the smell of Nitro is something
you will never forget. An out of body experience.

The MK II 427 with crossover is my favorite "loud" exhaust,
but I must say the Ferrari V-12 ain't too bad.

MikeD

There are loud noises that are very pleasant ... the sound of a GT40 with the correct headers is a very nice sound for sure!

But perhaps the most pleasant of all, is the quiet sound of the spouse saying "OK, we can afford that!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have to agree with the majority on this one, I best described a top fueler on tickover to a freind as "imagine handing out 50 shotguns in a mental asylum canteen and shouting NOW" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
A personal favorite was a guy I used to ride bikes with complaining that buying a Micron can for his Fireblade was a waste of money as all he could ever hear was the Termignonis on my 916 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif now that was a beauty, anything you can feel through the ground works for me.

My speakers were hopping across the desk! That was great! i have a little stick time in a P51 and that is an unforgetable experience noise wise too.

I have the CD of Nick Mason's cars. Interestingly my ancient cat sleeps quite happily through the ERA, the Ferrari 512 and 250 GTO - but when the V16 BRM comes on she is out the cat flap like a shot!

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
The BRM is just amazing for 1500cc - the range of sound from start-up rumble to an almost F1 howl at revs boggles the mind ! It is such a pleasure to hear the full repertoire ALL the way around the track !

No wonder the cat left !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

[ QUOTE ]
I have the CD of Nick Mason's cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that Nick Mason, the drummer for Pink Floyd? Any relation to you?

That BRM does sound nice. I think the Ferrari F355 is one of the nicest sounding street cars I've ever heard, and I think it's a flat-plane crank design. But my favorite internal combustion engine of all time is the F4U Corsair with its Pratt & Whitney R2000 at full song and its air inlets screaming. Sends shivers down my spine every time I hear one. I also love it when the Blue Angels fly their routine and one of the F/A 18s sneaks up from beind the crowd and does a low pass at full afterburner right on the edge of going supersonic. The sound of the air being ripped apart and of the engine howling brings a tear of joy to my eye.

Probably is the one from Pink Floyd - that's what I was thinking too - he's a huge car collector.

I tried looking for this again but coudn't find it - if anyone knows where to find it - please post the link, it's great. There's a video of some guy with an Allison V12 in his garage with no exhaust - open ports! - and he starts it up (with a fair amount of starter fluid if I remember correctly). No visible ear protection and he's standing next to it revving it by hand. Truly unbelievable sight.

For me personally the best sound I've ever witnessed was the Honda F1 engines in the McLarens at the 1990 Montreal GP. They were by far the loudest (Ferrari were highest pitch back then). I have an idea now what it would be like to have an elephant walk on my chest. I actually thought my ears were bleeding at one point - we were standing at the exit to the second hairpin so you're in their sound waves for a good amount of time, behind them to boot. That same weekend we also snuck into the Lotus, Williams, and McLaren garages (bumped into Berger while he was walking out). I got an incredible picture of Senna sitting on an engine crate studying a sheet of paper with a couple of engineers standing next to him. While in the Lotus garage standing 4 feet behind the car and changing camera lenses, they started the engine up! There's nothing like an F1 engine in a garage...

Nick Mason IS the Pink Floyd drummer but no relation I am afraid. Nice bloke tho - I once produced a news programme live from the Coys Festival and he was quite happy to be interviewed sitting in his 250 GTO worth several million quid!

I have to say that my best noise experience was having the pleasure ?? of starting a Cosworth DFX at a vintage race. Squatting behind that chassis and holding that starter while pushing it into the gearbox looks easy. Now I know why they have that wooden handle with the small metal deflector plate on the end (Which of course we didn't have). To hear this motor up close, idle was about 2200 revs, and then at full tilt with 50 inches of boost was amazing.

Re: BEST NOISE I EVER HEARD IN A CAR.

Also came from the back of a Ford powered vehicle, in this case a Ford Anglia van about 40 years ago.

It went something like "Oh alright, just this once"

Well someone had to lower the tone !

Re: BEST NOISE I EVER HEARD IN A CAR.

I'm sure I read somewhere that an Australian company was recently employed by Ferrari to "tune" the acoustics of the exhaust note of one of their current models.

Back