GTD R42 Loom

Hi all -
I know it's not a '40', but I thought some of you might be interested in the new loom I've just made for Dave Parker's GTD R42.

The system comprises the Motec M48 Pro system, 8 coil ignition and sequential injection and ALL engine wiring (excluding starter and alternator) is connected via the three connectors seen in the lowest picture. These connect to mating bulkhead connectors so engine removal/refitting is much easier. The ECU, ignition amplifiers etc being neatly protected within the cabin between the seats.

The three connectors carry all ECU sensor signals, reference and sync signals (both 'home-brew' Hall effect), signals for dash dials (temp/oil P) and injector feeds/returns + Nos Control..

The loom is covered in a high temp glass braided sleeve that will reportedly stand up to 450C, although the wires inside would suffer if exposed for any length of time at that temp. This I think gives a visually pleasing result, and is very flexible too.

As Dave is competing at Shelsley Hill Climb in 10 days time - better get it finished and mapped PDQ!!

Middle pic shows loom attached to motor, with 'umbillical' looped back onto rocker cover.

Hope its of interest.....

Attachments

• 57078-r42loom.JPG
    57078-r42loom.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 328
..... and in case you wondered what an R42 is - here is Dave's at Lydden last year!

Another Ray Christopher creation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 57079-r42.JPG
    57079-r42.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 385
Nice job that Paul.

Especially with all the correct clip on connectors for the injectors, and the sealed aircraft style bulkhead connectors.

Its amazing how a bit (well probably a lot!) of effort can make a job look so much more professional.

Very nice, real tidy job Paul, it goes to show what can be done if you have the time and inclanation. Can you remember where you got the sleeve from and at what sort of cost?

Ron Earp

Admin
Really nice loom there, I like it. What source do you have for the special connectors required on injectors etc?

Good luck with the hillclimb! Tell Dave to get that boat anchor out of there and replace it with a proper motor! Would like to get over there and see all you guys and have a look at the hill climbs.

Ron

Hi Stuart/Ron

Both circular multipole connectors and Sleeving were sourced from CPC which is another name for Farnell.

The sleeving is 'Vidaflex XGR' and is available in two sizes:
6-18mm (order code CB02278) @ £3.99+vat / 5M?
10-30mm (order code CB02277) @ £9.95+vat / 5M?

The connectors are ordered by shell size, and pins are ordered separately (in Gold if you like...)

e.g. CN01890 - fixed pin receptacle 16way - £3.74+vat

All can be viewed online once you have a trade account.

The Bosch injector/sensor connectors were sourced from a Bosch dealer in Kent.

Just waiting for some Bosch pins to arrive for the ignition amplifiers on Dave car now - then a mapping session on the good old A3.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hopefully ready for next Saturday at Shelsey..

[ QUOTE ]
Just waiting for some Bosch pins to arrive for the ignition amplifiers on Dave car now - then a mapping session on the good old A3.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"I'm sorry officer, but we're in the middle of a 4th gear roll-on mapping session. Only another 2 or 3 runs up this stretch and we'll be done, okay ?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

With me in the passenger seat avec laptop - I want to see NO blue lights.... especially not the high intensity BLUE LED that indicates the NOS has been armed - Gulp! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

NOS !!
Ooohhhh yes please !!!

Any chance you'll have the car at the surrey meet on Wednesday ?
I'd love to see it.

Sorry John - Unlikely as we will be prepping the car for Shelsley Hillclimb on Sunday...

It will be at the club Trackday in August though - so be sure to visit and see it there..

ps - Anyone looking to book for tracktime at this event should do so sooner rather than later as places are filling fast and will be limited to 25. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Visit our Club Website for more details.

Back