Lydden June

Is the GT40 Lydden day taking place and who is coming?
I have some Belgian GT40 friends who would like to meet with you guys.Dutch fellows,this would be a great place to join as just over the channel in Dover.
Tx
Fred

Hi Fred -

Roy and I have both entered for June 4th, as has Dave Parker I believe too. Others may be present but I will not know for certain till regs are published.(or they post here)

Supporters always most welcome and we may be able to make some entry tickets available too... PM me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well - regs have arrived for round 6 - at Lydden (June 4th) and only two GTDs this time. Roy and I in his Mk1 and fellow club member, Julian Kingston-Smith, in his, possibly with its new '6-speed UN1' tansmission.

If anyone is thinking of going to spectate - I have a couple of tickets I don't mind posting for free entry.

Mail me if interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred, Ian and I will also be there, with any support you guys need (remember your last visit to the UK - the car stayed longer than you did !" ) Frank

IF my car is back on the road by then (it's very very close) I'll see if I can get down and let you guys pull all my hard work to pieces.
Simon

Frank,
From Eurotunnel to Lydden it should be (for once at least) a 'limited' distance risk....
Hope to see you there as I have one GTD40 friend who is quite keen to meet you (and myself to have a chat with you aswel of course)
Simon,
Hope to meet you (finally)

Fred

See ya Saturday Fred - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Unfortunatley Jools is unable to make it (or so I am informed) so just the one GTD competing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Unfortunately your right Paul , Ive got to wait another couple of weeks before I can report on the new gearbox...I hope it turns out to be worth the wait. So you and Roy shall be the only 40 there, 1st and 2nd uncontested?... make sure you blitz any other contenders!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well - The weather sort of held as we only had a few spots of rain which was just as well as we took the car on slicks and didnt bother with the wet tyres. I initially struggled a bit with the power delivery of Roys 40, this being my first drive since major Winter modifications to all suspension. In the car, start engine, drive 40m to start line, Green light - GO! - bit of a baptism of fire as I attempted to launch in 1st gear for a change, lighting up the slicks I shift to second and promptly light em up again. The new throttle linkages seem a little 'faster' than I recall but once in third, things calm a bit.

I like Lydden, in Roys 40 you can do the whole event with one gear change.... Launch in 2nd, shift to 3rd and that's it. Top of hairy hill can be negotiated in third with a boot of throttle and a fistfull of opposite lock (not overly smooth but bundles of fun!)

We had a few problems though, a long brake pedal did'nt give much confidence and no alternator output left a car requiring a 'top-up' charge between runs and bump starts too. (turned out to be a thrown belt)

The Paddock did see the very welcome arrival of three more 40s of Fred DeBraey and friends who as mentioned, came over for the event from Belgium. Great cars, the Red One having a great set of stainless headers that the owner had hand made for it - very nice! Unfortunately, it had also developed a crack in one of its silencer boxes, which in turn gave a seriously LOUD exhaust note - I hope he got home ok - Fred?

Here are a few pics of the visiting 40s - thanks for coming over guys - if we get the 'longcross' day arranged, might be an event you guys would enjoy too.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 59112-lyd1.JPG
    59112-lyd1.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 236
Paul,

We all made it back to our homeplace including the silencer box of René who basically looks like a firecrack by now...
It was good to chat with you guys and it always leaves some good reasons to spend another copuple of cents....
Rgds
fred

nice photos Paul.It was a lot of fun coming to Lydden.For me it was my first long trip with the green 40.greetings to everyone.

Back