Program on the Ford GT on NOW !! (uk, 10pm)

Discovery channel (551)

Started 5 minutes ago. so far quite a bit on the original GT40 too.

Classic slip-up so far - Mulsane straight is now renamed the lasagne straight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

just shown the '67 win with Gurney & Foyte (sp?)

Apparently the GT is targeted at beating the F360 (take two of the ford vs ferrari battle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Nice shots of the manufacture of the alloy space frame too.

I am taping it so if anyone has the capability to copy it I'm happy to lend the tape (as long as comes back not taped over !). Using vhs pal on short play for better quality.

lol, just said the engine is based on a ford lorry engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Yep, the Lightning truck was the test mule for the blown motor over the last few years, although the Lightning uses a 2 valve head and Eaton blower. Drive one though and you won't laugh, they are great motors although too large for what they do. Not much different from the old days - the 427 race motor in the MKII GT40s and Ford's J cars came from the FE series that lived in trucks as well.

That is a pretty good program although it has been 6 months or so since I've seen it. They did a decent job with it I thought.

Lasagne straight is presumably just before spaghetti junction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron if the engines originated from trucks for the MKII. Was most NASCAR engines truck orientated? I know the T44 transaxle for the MKII was off a truck. But I thought the 427 was taken from the Ford Galaxie NASCAR and detuned? The only notable car with a truck engine was the Viper.
Regards Allan

NASCAR started the 1960s racing what Detroit sold in showrooms to anyone who walked in. But during the Sixties there was quite a bit of special engine development behind closed doors, to obtain a competitive advantage.

Ford and Chrysler in particular made special
purpose engines (SOHC and HEMI), and aerodynamic bodies which were outlawed by NASCAR after a while in order
to get the "stock" back into stock car racing.

Of course today it's ironic that NASCAR runs all carbureted
rear wheel drive vehicles cloaked in facsimilies of the front wheel drive fuel injected cars they sell today...so how
much is "stock" depends on the rulemakers imagination.
Still there is no denying NASCAR is more popular than ever.

By the way...I believe the T-44 was purpose built by Kar Kraft for the MK II....and was never used in anything
but race cars.

MikeD

Ron Earp

Admin
Allan,

No, of course not. NASCAR cannot take all the credit for the FE engine development and creation. The engine saw corporate duty in trucks and cars throughout the 1960s. While I am no FE expert, in fact I don't really like the motors at all to be honest, lots of information on how the FE performed, could be made to perform, and held up came from street use in trucks and cars. Bear in mind the FE engine used was not the special built SOHC 427 motor that was subsequently outlawed in NASCAR. That motor was purpose built as Mike indicates and is not an FE motor as what we think of in NASCAR and MKIIs. I'm sure there are guys here that can give you the entire history of the FE and cover my mistakes, but don't confuse the 427 SOHC NASCAR Galaxie motor that was outlawed with 352/360/390/427/428 FE motors that ran in stuff all over the place.

Now the basis for the new GT motor hasn't been raced much at all except in 03-04 Cobra's using the 4.6L blown block, and the 99-04 Lightning in 5.4L iron blocks with 2V heads. And, what racing is done with them happens a quarter mile at a go since not many of these see real road course duty.

So, I don't think the Viper is the only car with an engine rooted in truck and car duty. The modern day GT definitely has its roots there for sure as do vintage NASCAR and MKIIs. If I am not mistaken the FE engine started life as a 332 inch V8 in trucks, but I do not know what year. Eventually it made it to 428 inches with a 4.13" bore x 3.98" stroke.

R

Ron

I'm not sure I'd categorize the Viper engine as "truck based".
There are few (if any) shared parts.

Interestingly enough, Dodge now sells SRT-10 trucks
with the Viper engine....so those could arguably be called
trucks with "racing based " engines !

MikeD

Hi Guys I am not trying to be a smart alec but in the mists of my memory the various programs showing the viper stated that the motor was derived from trucks. And if and when I can find reference the same goes for the T44 Transaxle.
Perhaps you can help me with the NASCAR 427. I spoke to Junior Johnson (at Goodwood Festival of Speed ) who raced a very modified Ford Galaxie (Yellow Barnanna Car)when The Hemi was allowed to race but the 427 was ban. He told me he raced it to get Ford back into NASCAR but I did not ask what engine he used. Was this the engine that was used eventually in the MKII?
Regards Allan

If you categorize a Porsche 911 as "VW Beetle based",
then you can say the Viper engine is truck based....
and if you go back far enough, all cars are "based"
on horseless carriages. It depends on point of view...

Most likely Junior was referring to the FE based 427 engine,
which powered most of Fords NASCARS from 1964(?) until
replaced by the Boss 429 in 1969. The FE 427 was used in the MK II and MK IV....1966 with a single 4-barrel and twin 4-barrels in 1967.

The Boss 429 is based on a newer thin-wall big block family that evolved into 460 inches and is currently available from Ford in crate form. They make gobs of horsepower
for a lot less cost than the 427, and can be found in
many Cobra replicas in the US.

MikeD

Back