Gulf GT40 Door Window Vent Question!!

In my quest to produce a replica of Gulf GT40 #1075 I need some information. Does anyone out there know what the round dome is on the side window vent of the gulf/wyer cars. Is this an extra vent?, can you buy them and if so from where????

Any help or info would be great as I can't seem to find any details.

Cheers

Simon

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Try a ships chandler. I did not check 1075 photo but your desc fits a pop out circular vent. Originally called helicopter vents, now quite often used on boats

Thanks for the reply Trevor, I live on the Isle of Wight so no shortage of chandlers in my local area. I will go and have a look this afternoon to see what I can find.

Regards

Simon

Thanks for the link to that website Simon, those vents are just what I am looking for. Many thanks for all the quick replies to my question, it seems to be ask and it will be given on this forum!!!!

Regards

Simon

Simon,

I'm coming down to the isle of Wight this August for a few days holiday, If I can pursuade the wife to travel down in the '40 (franky looking doubtful) maybe we can meet up for a drink somewhere? I'm going with friends who MAY come in their '67 supercharged Mustang.
Simon

I do not want to sound a smart alec but check with original photos of P1075. Do not trust current pictures. I know there was a circular cut out in the opening side window vent. There was no other dome on the side window. However some current cars i.e. P1046, P1015, P1075 have things on them that were not there in the racies that made them famous (Lemans). Including extra circular vents in the side windows!!.
Regards Allan

Hi Simon

Do give me a shout if you are coming down to the Island and we can go for a beer. There certainly is no shortage of pubs to go to!. It would be great if you could bring down your GT40. I would love to have a look at another GT, you don't see that many on the Isle of Wight!

Regards

Simon

Simon H,

Simon's adress is really closest item to original to my knowledge; I have them too from there and are really easy to place in site window (opening part)
If you want I can send you a website where you will find close pictures of the origial cars (I am not at home here now).
Rgds
Fred

Simon, 1080 also has the pop-out vent with the circular hole. I have no idea where they came from but the car was restored at Modena Motor sport. These pop out vents with the round hole are original t the Gulf Spec cars, and you will notice that the vent is present in the attached photo of 1080 when it was racing in Portugal. 1080 is now being developed by Glesco out at Donnington, and I noticed another GT40 they had there used Helicopter vents to improve airflow into the cabin. I am also having these fitted to 1080.

Attachments

• 57993-2.jpg
    57993-2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 429

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Are 'helicopter' vents and 'pop-out' vents one in the same? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks all for the response to my question. I have managed to get some vents in the UK from the link Simon supplied. I have just fitted them and they work great. My car is due to get it's Gulf spray job in a week or two, I can't wait!!!Next job will be to install a new powerplant, the existing 3.5L V8 just will not do!

Simon

Back