Rear clip weather stripping

I'm getting ready to install weather stripping on the spider where it meets the rear clip. Is this the same weather stripping that is used on the doors?

If so which method did you use to install it.

I would like to here why each of these approches were used, but most importantly, which weather stripping did you use?

This method?
DSC00564.jpg

Or this

DSC00566.jpg

or this

DSC00565.jpg

Also there seems to be different configurations (spell check Ron!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif) on where it is installed.

RedCar.jpg

Rearclipyellowcar.jpg

Silvercarweatherstrip.jpg

Dan,
None of those methods work well in my opinion. I used a simple closed cell foam half round weather striping It was 1/2". You can buy it at any automotive trim supply shop. You will need about 10ft. I simply adhered it with clear silicone. It fits down into the half round tray of the spyder perfectly. The rear clips edge sits on top of the foam and makes a great seal.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hersh,
When you say "none of those methods work" what are you referring to? I may have misunderstood the purpose of this stripping. I have a very small section of rubber there simply to keep it from rattling over bumps. I've driven the car in torrential rainfall and there was no obvious water entering the engine compartment from the front of the clip (the guttering seems to work well in its own right). Maybe it is because I have so little weather stripping that the water has somewhere to go, or maybe a good fit here is critical? I'd be interested in your opinion.

Hi Chris,
There is no problem with the method of a small piece to restrict movement but the water channeling only works to an extent. If you need an example then take your garden hose and spray that erea real good for a few minutes. Open up the rear clip and see how much water entered the engine compartment. My method does both jobs by keeping the water out and by preventing squeaks and chafing . It's not necessary to do what I did but in my mind it does what I think it needed. I guess it's just another way to skin a cat.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif When I say it didn't work for me, it would be better to say, I think I am more comfortable with my way.

Hersh,

That seems like a good solution. Could you post a picture of how yours is done? I thought that the door weather stripping was to big, but because there was so much of it that came with my car I thought that it had to go there. I'll look around for some of the 1/2" foam you suggested. I bet Soft Seal make something I can use.

Chris,

Could post some pictures of how you did yours?

Dan,
Here are a few photos for you...

Attachments

• 58713-weatherstripping006.jpg
    58713-weatherstripping006.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 257
Back