Gurston Down Speed Hill Climb

Hi all -

As the entry list has now been received for Gurston Hill Climb on June 19th - Here's the Club's entries...

32 ..Paul Thompson ..GTD40 Mk1 5600cc Kinsler Injection
33 ..Roger Burston ...GTD40 Mk1 6700cc Webers
34 ..Martin Hacon .....GTD40 Mk1 5000cc Holley
35 ..Roy Wing ..........GTD40 Mk1 5700cc Holley (Spyder)
36 ..Andrew Fordyce GTD40 Mk1 5000cc Webers
37 ..David Parker .....GTD ...R42 5700cc Edelbrock Injection
734 Mo McNicoll ........GTD40 Mk1 5000cc Holley

Class record is currently held by Dave Parker in his mighty R42 at 36.19s set in 2003 but will he better it this year? not if we don't get to tune the Motec first!

Rodger's back, for his first event after the spectacular blow-up last year at Lydden, his 351 now replaced with a bored/stroked 351 displacing over 400ci !! (With his multi-plate clutch and webers, let's hope he has a good supply of gearboxes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Martin and Mo are back - complete with slicks and I believe currently leading the club's friendly league by some margin....

Roy Wing returns with Rays spyder and no doubt the widest set of slicks to date... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and Andrew completes the crowd with his car no doubt, the best prepared by far.(and he's had a fair bit of practice this year at Goodwood, or so I hear)

Let the fun commence - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

oh - I almost forgot - hill record is a scary 26.57s set by Adam Fleetwood in August 2004 in his Gould GR55 - Mad!!

A Quick Update -

Rodger has been out running in his new 400+ci motor - running well I believe so he should be quick. (g-box permitting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

...and tonight saw Dave & I venture out in the R42 for some mapping, aided by the Motec Pro Lambda meter which was hooked to his M48 Pro ECU to give a Wideband Quick Lambda function from a preset map of target values. This was also the first test of the new BIG injectors that are being used on both Dave's 42 and Roys 40 (when I get round to fitting them) so an interesting time was expected.

We started by warming everything up and confirming that the actual timing was matching the required timing determined by the ECU. Then, after getting a reasonable idle, we ventured out for a couple of laps of his industrial estate at a lowly 3000rpm max. Another quick check of all under the rear deck and then off onto a nearby section of A-road / dual carriageway for some tweeking at higher rpm and increasing load.

This we did, confirming the rpm limiter at first 5000rpm, then 6000rpm. As Dave drove steadily I tweeked the base fuel map and we got some good pulls on a long uphill section. Alas, my laptop's battery did'nt last the pace and we returned to base after some 30 mins, but with a somewhat livlier R42.

One interesting point was that as soon as we pulled onto the A road, a Black '03' RSR Porsche blasted past and pulled in front, slowing to match us. He then proceeded to 'put his boot down' each time we approached - what is it with 'some' Porsche drivers???

Anyway, next session will see the 7000+rpm barrier broken then off to Gurston Sunday... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now, if only I could remotely adjust his rev limit....(he he he) - only joking Dave. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Back