Video of Hayabusa Clubman

For anyone interested, the link below is a video (27Mb!) of me in my Hayabusa powered clubman on the weekend at Eastern Creek Raceway in Sydney. For the locals, the lap was 1:41.2, my best for the day was 1:40.7. Great fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
2 laps in Tim's BUSA_7

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Excellent Tim damn good times, but where are your competitors?Love that sequential gearshift.Hope your still gonna let me drive it one day.
Regards Ross

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Love the video Tim. Certainly seems like a very well sorted machine and the Busa engine sounds awesome. Especially love the way you go through the tightening apex at turn two and then the power comes on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It looks like you go into that corner too hard but magically it gets through; must take a couple of goes to get that one right.
I echo Ross' sentiments as I too hope to get a ride in that thing (one day) as well!

Cheers mate

Bill.

Thanks guys. The car is an absolute joy to drive. As you can see from the video, the car turns in beautifully, it just has no vices at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif For reference, Bill Adams has been around the Creek in 1:38 in his cobra. I expect to be under 1:40 next time out, as i learn the track better. It is a power circuit, and the clubbies loose out big-time down the straight, but we make up for it elsewhere.
If you're ever in Sydney, (or i bring "Alvin" down to Mexico) you are more than welcome to have a go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Looks simalar to these, called Radicals, at a track in Nevada. Also 'Busa motors. They hold track records where ever they go.

Attachments

• 59184-Hyabusa.jpg
    59184-Hyabusa.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 271
Same motor Tim, but a LOT LESS downforce. Wind resistance is where we really lose out to "racing"cars. But my car is road registered too, so you can beat pretty much anything on the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 59186-LOTUS2005_466small.JPG
    59186-LOTUS2005_466small.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 274

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
Looks simalar to these........

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, my mistake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif only similar in motor not body. What you have resembles the Lotus 7?

Love to try one on for size myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tim (Kay), it looks to be a Caterham, who brought the rights from Lotus to continue building the Series 3 '7'
way back in the 1970s.

Tim ()z40), looks lovely mate. I have a supersprint which is a good laugh, although not as light or quick as yours (1700 x-flow giving 140bhp in a car weighing 550Kgs).

Your baby Elan looks nice too. Looks like a Series 2 or 3 to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

John,
My clubman is a 2003 Birkin (south africa). It has 210hp and 440kgs. Close to R500 power to weight.
The Elan in the background isn't mine (mine is a red S4 FHC), the black car has a Cossie BDA in it, and goes rather well.

You know Tim I did have to look closely at that pic to see if it was a caterham, and wasn't fully convinced, but then it didn't look like any of the other clones we see here in the uk (westfield, robin hood, donkervoort, etc).
Does it differ much from the Caterham (besides price !) ?

BDA, lovely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
A friend of mine had a 7 with a BDR lump. That was quick too, and sounded gorgeous.
I nearly brought an elan S4SE before building the 7, and still sometimes wish I'd brought it.

We use a techtronics quickshifter on the Suzuki engined single seater, with both full throttle upshifter and self blipping throttle on the downshift, so in changing up it is no lift on the throttle and no use of clutch, and downshifting is foot only useing the brake, no clutch and the throttle blip is automatic and instantaneous with the pull on the shifter. It is very quick and sounds fantastic. Frank

Hey Frank, that sounds great! We have mucked around with a pneumatic shifter, but i wasn't really satisfied and went back to the good old gear-stick method. Can you give me some details of the techtronics unit? Is it an off the shelf style kit? Thanks.

John, you can buy Birkins in UK. They are very similar to the Cat. Hazel Chapman actually opened their factory many years ago! They are available with live or independent rear, usually fitted with Duratec and sierra box. Mine is VERY different to standard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Tim, when you first told me about your "Busa" engined Clubman,I was impressed. The video confirms that it is indeed the weapon I thought it was. Great stuff Mate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Tim, I just had another look, even more impressive the second time. The quality of the video is first class with little or no vibration.
Which make of camera did you use, and how was it mounted?

Pete, You should see the original! The link posted is very compressed.
The camera is a JVC Everio which is strapped safely away is a bag on passenger seat, connected to this is a bullet camera tied to my roll bar. I do need to find a way of improving the sound quality. If you're interested, i can dig up the info on the bullet-cam.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Tim
You should be able to also plug a microphone into the camera and either feed it into the engine bay or to your exhaust outlet points, being careful to shield it away from wind noise. Did this on my motorbike and the sound was unbelievable.

Bill.

Back