Aurora XAM Rose Joints

Is anyone using Aurora XAM rod ends, or any other rose joints on a car that sees a lot of track and road use?

The Aurora catalog describes the XAMs as high strenth Alloy, heavy duty shank and PFTE lining available. I am wondering just how long they last with general street and some track use? Does anyone recommend a different brand for quality and/or durability?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Here's one vote for Aurora. The race shop I worked at (which won the U.S. Formula Ford national championship the year I started working there) used exclusively Aurora. We also ran 2.0 liter cars. Heim's are good to. Some places sell certain sizes of Fafnir items - never seen one in real life (that I know of at least).

As a general note - if you peruse homebuilt aircraft supply catalogues, you'll typically find out what's considered good. Those guys WILL NOT put junk in their planes (wonder why?).

Here are a few to check out if you haven't already:

Wick's Aircraft

Aircraft Spruce

Those first two are very popular in car building shops.

Aircraft Supply

D&D Aircraft Supply

Unless you have some metric fasteners, ALL of your hardware could (and probably should) come from these places. It's all traceable, properly engineered hardware. They have AN and NAS bolts / nuts / washers, and some of the places tell you how to properly use them as well. They also have all the nut plates, Dzus fasteners, Riv-nuts, Helicoils, etc. you could want. Most, if not all have online catalogues, but the printed ones are worth getting (typically free) - much easier to look through. They all typically carry mostly Aurora rod ends.

Hope this helps.

NMB and Rose are both excellent makes of rodend ( Rose gave their name to the item afterall). Aurora only began to compete at their level in the last ten years.

Thanks for your input, guys.

I'm building an all metric car, and I can readily get Aurora AM-Ms and AB-Ms here in downtown Perth. Sorry for quoting XAM in my post - I didn't have the catalog in front of me, and it was very late at night over here. At least I got the material and PFTE availability right!

I appreciate the links, and I have looked at Rose and NMB before. However, I was attracted to the Auroras as I can get them locally.

Bob, I will use metric AMs. Thank you for the benefit of your experience.

Regards

Back