SAAC-30 California Speedway

Shelby American Automobile Club 30th Annual Convention in Fontana, Ca. Thursday, June 30th through Sunday, July 3rd. There will be some GT40's there, and don't miss the GT40/Cobra Vintage Race. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi guys! I brought my GT40 to SAAC-30 and placed 2nd in the GT40/Cobra Class. I was beat out by the Shelby American Can Am Car! I'll attempt to post some pictures.

Attachments

• 61244-DSC_0057.jpg
    61244-DSC_0057.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 375
GT40 next to my GT350. Both cars performed great!

Attachments

• 61246-DSC_0062.jpg
    61246-DSC_0062.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 370
Garage of Dreams! this is Cobra Automotives "Stable of Shelbys"! They brought out 3 Trailers of cars, including mine.

Attachments

• 61247-DSC_0067.jpg
    61247-DSC_0067.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 393
This is the wickedly fast Shelby Can Am car. It finished first in the GT40/Cobra race.

Attachments

• 61249-DSC_0182.jpg
    61249-DSC_0182.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 370
John,
It was a pleasure to meet you at SAAC-30 (the gray haired guy in the brown Aussie hat). Bill Griffin trailered my 64 Cobra there from Phoenix, Az., along with his CSX 4266 and Jim Lange's 65 Sheby GT350 #22. It was fun to watch you drive those beautiful race cars. Wish I could have bummed a ride in your 40!

Bill,
Yes, I do remember you. Small world there! Calif was great..the GT40 was really on top of it's game here. The car is back in CT right now being prepped for the Monterey Pre-historics (Aug. 13-14), and then the Monterey Historics (Aug. 19-21).

This is truly a dream come true for me. I've always wanted to race at the Monterey Historics. But now, having the opportunity to do it in such an incredible car is just too much.

If you ever see me at a track again let me know...I'd be happy to let you bum a ride!

Here's a link to my racing page and schedule with the car. Hope to see you again soon!
John's Racing Page

John

Hey Gary!
Thanks again for all of your help up at the Glen! Glad to see you posting here. As you can see we got the car back together quickly to go to SAAC-30 in Calif. Right now the car is being prepped for Monterey. I'll be going out there early next week.

I'm fabricating the front "eyebrow" spoilers and and correct rear spoiler and hope to have them on the car for that event. After speaking with Tom Malloy and Bill Murray at the glen they highly recommended these changes for racing.
At Fontana the car handled well but I was a little leary of pushing it hard in the banking. Tom & Bill said these additions make a noticible change in Hi-speed handling.

I'll post some more pix when it's done.

John

John,

It appears that you have installed new front chin splitters and a rear spoiler blade on 1043 since I talked with you at Watkins Glen. Have you noticed an improvement in your cars handling ability? Also the dark green 1021 car seemed extremely fast at the Glen. I am unsure if it was the car or the drivers ability that made it so. Would you care to comment on that subject. Congratulations on your second place finish at California Speedway.

Len

Hi John. Not sure if you saw the other thread on weights nor if your team scales your car, but wonder if you might discuss the total weight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Len,
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I used the front/rear spoilers first at the Monterey Historics. The front end is certainly more planted than it was at California. I did continue to have a loose rear condition under heavy braking, in fact I did have a spin going into the "Andretti Hairpin" (turn 1) in the main event. We changed the brake bias at that point and that seemed to help.

At the Rolex Vintage Festival 2 weeks ago at Limerock, we set the rear spoiler at it's highest position. It seemed to have a remarkable effect on high speed braking and overall stability in the high speed uphill and downhill sweepers. Limerock is a short (1.6mile) track with a short front straight but high speed sweepers.
The car performed remarkable among a very competitive field of Chevrons (3rd place overall in the 1st race).

Overall I'd say the spoilers add much needed hi-speed stability, especially under braking. I'll be running the car next month at Sebring, and Daytona in November. That will be the test.

Also, I broke the ring & Pinion gears at Limerock. Fortunately there was no damage to the internals of the ZF. I'm replacing the 4:22 ratio with a 3:40 ratio to get higher speeds at Sebring & Daytona.

Regarding the Dark Green 40...It was driven by Bill Murray, of the "Shelby American Collection" in Colorado. Bill is a very accomplished Pro, Semi-pro driver who has raced nearly every type of Shelby extensively over the past 30 years.

I'll keep you posted on the progres.
John

Gary:
Hi, we have not corner balanced the car yet. Actually right now we have the ZF out of the car replacing the ring & pinion set, also the heads off replacing the valves. When the R & R work is done we hope to corner balance the car prior to Sebring & Daytona.
Hope all is well with you.

John

Ron,
As Requested, here are some pics of the work. It's amazing how small the car looks when the rear frame is removed and the nose is off the car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Attachments

• 65151-09-19-05-5.jpg
    65151-09-19-05-5.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 383
Back